Sensitivity to light

Does anyone else feel sensitivity to light? I don’t like bright sunlight

2 Likes

Makes me sneeze and it sucks to drive with the sun blinding you. Other then that it keeps things warm, it’s a good thing.

Sorry it bothers you.

Sunglasses! I can’t leave home without them.

1 Like

Photosenitivity is a side effect to some AP medications. Trilafon/Perphenazine is one, I’m sure there are others.

1 Like

I am pretty sensitive to sun light… but my experience is a bit off…

I live in Rain city… when that thing in the sky with the rays comes out… everyone here is a bit loopy.

For me… it’s not just sunlight… bright bulbs hurt my eyes too.

1 Like

Turns out many Antipsychotics and Antidepressants make you sensitive to the sun.

Here’s a list of APs that cause photosensitivity:

Thorazine, Prolixin, Trilafon, Compazine, Mellaril, Stelazine
Clozaril, Haldol, Loxitane, Zyprexa, Seroquel, Risperdal, Navane, Geodon

http://www.wellnesspharmacy.net/photosensitivity.pdf

2 Likes

I did not know that, thanks. I have dry eyes too so I use lubricant eye drops a few times a day, mostly in the evening.

My eyes used to sting if my mother turned the light on in my dark bedroom at night.

Yes-definitely . When it’s bright sunlight I end up squinting. Had the problem long before I was on APS

I don’t mind the sun and enjoy spending hours in it…Direct sunlight in eyes like when on the road is a pain though.
I am however super sensitive to bright artificial lights from bulbs. My house lighting is all soft…Even those 13 watt CF bulbs are sometimes too bright for me. Led lights, Christmas lights, shaded CFs, candle light or an oil lamp are all cool.
Some work places I couldn’t stand due to bright overhead fluorescent lights…on top of the machinery noise…

1 Like

Same here…

I know I sunburn easily… so SPF 30 works well. But I still enjoy seeing the sun. But artificial light is what hurts the eyes and give’s me head aches.

I guess I can take the sunlight… but heat… like a hot day… (or even a warm day) will sap my strength easily.

I also can’t stand the sound of florescent lights… It always surprised me that no one else can hear it.

I hear them. Not the CF bulbs but the long tubes, especially the older ones…kind of a buzz.

Here: this is why.

Buzzing in fluorescent lights is caused by the ballast, also known as the transformer, in the lighting fixture. Most residential fixtures use magnetic ballasts that operate at 60 hertz, which creates audible humming and flickering. Your solution is to replace the magnetic ballast with electronic ballast, which operates at 20,000 to 40,000 hertz, essentially continuously. This completely eliminates humming and flickering.

The electronic ballasts only work with the new thinner diameter fluorescent tubes, called T-8s
http://www.improvenet.com/a/how-can-i-stop-my-fluorescent-lights-from-buzzing

So that’s why the old ones do that.