Sensitive to words and phrases

I’m sensitive to others’ words and expressions. Specific phrases trigger me. The way they sound triggers me. And I get confused. That happens even with TV. Anyone else?

3 Likes

There are things that trigger me. Sometimes they’re on tv.

2 Likes

For me it’s the way they talk, the sounds they make etc

1 Like

For example. The anchorman would say “the criminal…” and that word would make my mind crazy. I can’t describe it. Or the weather. Or whatever.

1 Like

I can’t watch TV because some words trigger my thoughts. I too am sensitive to some groups of words. Even reading some posts with such words in them trigger me. I have found meds calmed a lot of the distress.

2 Likes

I hear jumbled or whispered words from TV
I turn it off.

4 Likes

I hear whispers from the tv a lot, too. I almost never have it on anymore.

1 Like

I hear real sounds that freak me out.

I don’t think I understand. I’m sorry. I’m trying.

Are you saying certain words or sounds trigger you and overwhelm you emotionally? What sorts of sounds? Is this different than topical trigger words/phrases (like sexual assault, death, aliens, religion, etc)?

Yes different. It can be anything, any word. They way one pronounces a word makes me crazy. I can’t explain it. Neutral words and topics.

Does it send you into sort of a rage/intense irritability? I get that way out of nowhere sometimes with sounds. It’s almost like a panic but I just flip out for no real reason because a door made a weird noise (random example).

Is it anything like that?

1 Like

Sorry if I’m being annoying with all my questions.

Sorry I misunderstood too. Mine is words linked to pass delusions. But I think I’m understanding this more. It’s the sound it’s self not the word?

Yes a door making a weird sound can trigger me. The way someone speaks too.

1 Like

Have you ever looked into sensory processing disorder?

2 Likes

Both the sound of the word and the word.
It has something weird. That I can’t process

I have no idea. I will search it

1 Like

That’s what I have that causes my problems. I have problems with light, too.

1 Like
1 Like

That’s what I have. Discomfort with specific sounds.

1 Like