Self-medication

Self-medication is a human behavior in which an individual uses a substance or any exogenous influence to self-administer treatment for physical or psychological ailments. The most widely self-medicated substances are over-the-counter drugs used to treat common health issues at home, as well as dietary supplements

In a care home setting they mean self administering your own medication.

However this term can also be used to mean using drink and illegal substances in a belief that they help your condition or not as the case may be!

1 Like

I’m not going to lie, I tend to self-medicate sometimes which I know I shouldn’t do, but I have a addictive behavior so it’s really hard

1 Like

How do you think people like us got by before pharmaceutical? Alcohol, opium, marijuana, mushrooms, and also natural things that didn’t produce a high.

It was seen in many cultures as a gift and was allowed to grow and progress without stigma and manipulation.

3 Likes

We alienate ourselves which in turn they alienate us. :smiley:

Very True. I think the scizoaffective people really tend to lead toward the opiates or at least that was my direction to relieve the paranoia symptoms , and voices, and breakdowns.

Now I know many people with our condition do many different things. Meth (which just makes the condition worse), Mushrooms/LSD (same thing as meth) and Marijuana (same as Meth and Mushrooms). Although I know all people act differently to drugs so some people can take them and be fine, yet some take them and it start a breakdown

Benzo and opiates really was always my go to. Once I stopped I thought I could beat the ■■■■ a few times with LSD And mushrooms. Talk about a ride. don’t do drugs talking about past experiences in a useful lay of talking about how we previously coped

Your talking my language when you say Benzos and opiates. Especially Benzos. They made me feel like nothing was ever wrong, and the world was a great place and everyday was sunshine and rainbows until the day I withdrew from them and it threw me into one of my Big Breakdowns I was hospitalized for.

I know a few things about withdrawing and drugs. Especially about them sending you into breakdowns too

Bayer asprin when it first came out contained heroin.
They said it could cure just about any ills that you had.

Considering that anything you ingest that alters your mood is considered a drug, that includes caffine, food, cigarettes.
Even Walnuts were getting a hard look at by the FDA because it was discovered they could change your brain chemistry into something better, so they wanted to reclassify the walnuts as a ‘Drug.’

I say if your going to self medicate, then do it responsibly, don’t make others have to babysit you, or clean up after you.
And for gosh sakes don’t steal anything from anyone to get your drug of choice, if you cant afford it- don’t do it!

I self medicate with a nootropic called: “Cognitex Basics”. It helps with cognitive function.
I also use a CBD oil called: “Vicanna” which comes in a capsule. It helps my anxiety and arthritis pain.
I also take a baby aspirin every day to try and prevent stroke and heart attack. The kind without heroin.

I take ephedrine and for awhile took concerta. Basically to lose weight and have energy but it definitely raises my mood level. Ephedrine is legal without prescription in Canada