Self-isolation & covid

What are the rules around self-isolation and COVID in the rest of the world?

I likely have COVID, but did not test. I likely caught the 26th from a friend, and got symptoms the 31th. So it’s day 9. I still have insomnia. And my cough doesn’t disappear.

My doctor says I am most contagious in the 2 days before and after symptoms start. That a cough can last very long. And coughing is no reason to stay in. My government says I need to stay in for 5 days, then 5 more if I still have symptoms, then I can go out again. Whether I cough or not. Loved ones are allover the place. From seeing me as a paria now. To saying they never test and always go out with symptoms, and all their colleagues do too, because COVID is over.

I have noticed government policies differ, between countries and over time. I don’t know what to do. Also, I’m hungry, I need groceries.

What is recommended there?

1 Like

I would follow your government guidelines and stay in. Even if it’s not COVID you don’t want to spread it.

2 Likes

In my province in Canada we are only considered contagious for the first five days after symptoms appear. I double the isolation period to be safe.

2 Likes

Here it’s 5 day isolation, then you can go out with 5 more days of masking.

I had to do that in August and went to work. No one else caught it, but I was using Kn95 masks.

2 Likes

Thanks! I didn’t know the current situation. I’m careful, but don’t want to be too frightened, for that harms people too.

1 Like

Stay in quarantine. Be safe not just for your sake , but those you care about.
Here we have 14 day isolation. then retest then if its still positive isolation for 10 more day.
Extra…

Thanks. I didn’t adequately research the newest information about omicron & contagiousness. I found this overview quickly. When is it safe to stop isolating after you have an omicron infection? : Shots - Health News : NPR

@DragonStorm, your country is very strict as compared to ours. We never had a 14 day quarantaine, even in the height of the pandemic. Where do you live, if I may ask?

I’m not afraid for myself. It’s only for others. But I find it highly important to find a balance. Safety is relevant. More so with people who are vulnerable. But I have also seen people be so aimed at safety, that it was harmful too. That they or their kids got agoraphobia. That they got sick because of stress. That they left old people to die alone.

So it’s not that I’m careless…but I do think it’s important to look for balance between safety and other values.

1 Like

I’d say go out and get your groceries but I’d wear a mask just in case. keep about 1 metre away from people.

2 Likes

I think I’ll stick with the 10-day-rule indeed, with the exception of masked grocery shopping.

1 Like

Ohio USA

1 Like

Okay, thanks. I was just curious. :slight_smile: Responses vary between countries, and also how hard they have been hit.

1 Like

I’m terribly tired still. Went to work today. Had to rest all the time, and have some brain fog. Hope it isn’t turning into long-covid. Isn’t much I could do to prevent that anyway, but still. A friend had it from vaccination and couldnt work for a long time. Another friend’s teen kid has it too, from covid. Hope it turns out okay.

Recommendations welcome. Anything that worked for you to get your energy and clearness of mind back?

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.