Second ASD assessment tomorrow

I was told it would take about 2 hours.

7 Likes

Good luck @firemonkey!

1 Like

Yeah, good luck @firemonkey

1 Like

I’m trying to see why it would take 2 hours. Wondering what questions they’ll ask.

1 Like

I think you will do fine. Good luck

1 Like

@firemonkey

I hope it goes well for you. I was shocked when I was diagnosed with ASD but I have come to accept it. The IQ test was unexpected but is standard. They might see if you can interpret facial expressions, check your eye contact, whether your voice is monotone etc. if you are hypersensitive to bright light, sound, temperature, etc.

I was told to read a stupid book that basically said I couldn’t manage my own affairs, interpret facial expressions and all this other garbage. Don’t let them tell you you can’t do something that you have done well at for years, etc.

Go check out wrongplanet dot net if you really want to know. I actually suggest not trying to think too much about it.

1 Like

What is ASD?1515151515

@SkinnyMe

asd = autism spectrum disorder

Good luck! 151515

My assessment was about 2 hours I think. He asked a lot of questions about my symptoms, did a brief IQ test, and just observed me in general. Don’t stress, it’s not a huge deal :slight_smile:

I’ve had an account there for a few years. I’m trying not to second guess what the result will be, but it’s hard.

I know I used to be sensitive to bright sunlight. I’m not sure about the eye contact. As for voice.

https://vocaroo.com/i/s0W6wbOeJxEa

Mate. I think you’ll do well so just relax and go through the process. Let us know how you go!

Some frankness and honest questions: First, why a second assessment? Second, and this is meant as advice and an observation, not an attack or hostility, I want to be very clear on this point, but you seem to spend a lot of time, energy and resources trying to figure out “what’s wrong with me?” And it seems to have been mostly inconclusive so far with vague and hazy findings. I’d suggest it would be better for your mental health to accept who you are and live your life. You are what you are. Attaching a label to yourself doesn’t change a thing. Live your life, acknowledge and accept your short-comings (goodness knows we all have plenty), and try to do things that add value to your life.

1 Like

Because that’s part of the process. There will be 3 assessments.

I see. Any other takeaways from my post that you found useful or not?

Your post came over as rather critical. There’s a difference between accepting who you are and wanting to know why you are as you are.

I’m sorry I wasn’t able to help you and I’m sorry you felt that way. I did state that they were my observations and not attacks nor hostility and stated that I wanted to be clear on that. I hope you find whatever it is you’re looking for and that it brings you satisfaction. :slight_smile:

My pdoc obviously thought it was a good idea to refer me or he wouldn’t have done so. That put the ball firmly in my court after years of hesitating to take things further.

There was a time where my therapists thought that i might have ASD. Simply because i didn’t make much eye contact with them. However, if they’d ever bothered to ask me they would have learnt that i don’t make eye contact if i think the person i’m talking to can read my mind.

For you, i hope your assessment goes well and you find out a bit more about yourself that you probably didn’t know. Good luck.

1 Like

Boy, was that hard. It’s difficult answering whether you do x or y or not when it’s just the way you are . That was why it was a good thing that my stepdaughter was there to say “Well actually…” or words to that effect.

Ironically I’m not sure the assessor was good at picking up on facial expressions. She said I looked happy when actually I wasn’t feeling either particularly happy or sad. My stepdaughter said that was just my normal face and I’m really only animated when angry or stressed.