Scrupulosity OCD

Does anyone else suffer from Scrupulosity? I have since 1994. I’m just now asking my Doctor to help me with it.

What is Scrupulosity ? A form of Obsessive Compulsive Disorder ( OCD ) involving religious or moral obsessions. Scrupulous individuals are overly concerned that something they thought or did might be a sin or other violation of religious or moral doctrine.

3 Likes

I did a poll on this ages ago. I used to suffer from it. But it’s faded away since I did the poll.

Yes, I have it very much so.

It started in eighth grade when I started getting religious intrusive thoughts involving God and the Devil. Then I started to repeat prayers in the exact same order, eventually just adding things on it, making it like a 15 minute prayer. After this, I started obsessing over reading the Scriptures and to pray constantly.

This went on for a while without any treatment and it kept getting much, much worse to the point of me being incapable of doing simple tasks. Then in the tenth grade, I got treatment for my schizophrenia, which also happened to have a religious theme to it, and I got put on an antidepressant called celexa. This made it a lot better along with getting therapy for it also.

Now, I’m still struggling, but it has gotten better. I’m just doing worse now then I was previously. It’s still hard to sleep at night because of my OCD thoughts, and also it’s hard to pray because I constantly get intrusive thoughts while praying. I’m probably going to change medication, though. I also think that if I might touch something, I’ll get possessed or that I’m sinning. It’s a cycle, too, where I might do better during the summer, then do worse in the fall. You’re not alone, as my older brother also has it and is getting treatment for it.

I had that. And still do, in bad times especially.

Sometimes i really did something bad, but the shame is overwhelming. Sometimes it is stupid - the tiniest tiniest mistake can make me think i am evil, go to hell.

I do think it got somewhat better after EMDR and teaching myself to regulate my emotions and thoughts better, and express them.

Is this thread allowed? This is a religious matter.
@ninjastar @ZombieMombie

Yes, I used to have scrupulosity. A lot of people tend to have it.

As long as people are trying to overcome, then yes @laetitia

1 Like

Okok!

Also you might be able to find help for this in Catholic forums. If you feel that you might need spiritual help, that place is good to ask for help.

A friend of mine recommends “fact check”- checking if your actions have crossed the line of morality. Also, when in doubt, as a friend. If you need religious help, ask for a religious help on scrulpruosity.

1 Like

this isn’t really a “religious” topic and more than a woman who has a different OCD disorder who gets OCD Thoughts of harming her children. Is that a abuse of children topic? its a Obsessive compulsive disorder with a specific label.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.