Science: what is antimatter

Kick off the convo for anyone who’s interested. What got me interested, is a paper published by Stephen Hawking in 2014. His theory was that matter and antimatter destroyed each other on the edges of black holes.

The article included is just to start the convo. All thoughts welcome

4 Likes

Hmm. . .

I’m Not Really Interested So…, The Conversation Will have To Begin With Someone Else. YUP!.

I took two classes in modern physics so idk what Im talking about here lol. I know antimatter collisions cause all of the internal energy of the particles to be released explosively, but not sure why that would happen in black holes

Maybe future spaceships will have antimatter engines containing mini black holes

Thatd be cool

2 Likes

I think they might be working on that style engine now. I believe it’s based on M theory

2 Likes

Oh really? Wow thats cool I wouldve thought they were a long ways away.

I know they do antimatter collisions at some lab in CERN but I didnt think they knew how to create antimatter in large amounts

Reminds me of some conspiracy theorist who thought CERN was an attempt to destroy the world by creating a black hole on earth lol

2 Likes

I took nuclear physics and can only remember this. It was just so much information that you don’t apply to your everyday life. Hope someone can add more to the conversation

https://www.sciencedirect.com/topics/physics-and-astronomy/annihilation-reactions#:~:text=%20Annihilation%20Reactions%20%201%20Radioactivity.%20The%20other,previously%20described%2C%20are%20brought%20about%20by...%20More%20

2 Likes

@Cragger @Zwaynopolous Haven’t had but 2 hours sleep overnight. Will read both articles when more rested. Looks very interesting :face_with_raised_eyebrow: though

2 Likes

I feel the same. A lot of it is beyond me, and don’t even mention the math involved.

It’s just that this stuff has always fascinated me. The article was a good read, by the way

2 Likes

Yo @Zwaynopolous did you ever observe beta decay when you took nuclear physics? There is a positron annihilation reaction there when its beta + and you can observe the gamma emission form the rreaction

So cool I loved physics

2 Likes

Hmm. . .

After Reading The Comments Here, I Tried To Get Interested, But!, I’m Still Not Interested. :frowning:

1 Like

If black holes convert matter into energy it would be nice to throw waste into black holes and provide electricity lol

5 Likes

You should do a song and name it “physics” or better yet “anti-matter”

2 Likes

Definitely !!!

1 Like

I had to learn about beta, alpha, gamma decay, and ionizing radiation, but I only worked with ionizing radiation and gamma photons. I did nuclear medicine and was a registered nurse. I used a thallium doped crystal with metal septa separating weak photons using the photo electric effect to turn energy into light. 100,000 photons a second with an electronic matrix to change the pictures resolution. Everything I did in nuclear medicine was physiology how systems work. It was interesting work.

4 Likes

That sounds like very interesting work.

1 Like

I read the article. What would be cool is if we could harness the energy of a lightning bolt, cool it down while retaining its power and inject it into people to cure them of cancer.

1 Like

I enjoyed it until the schizophrenia kicked in and made me believe I was doing experiments on people thinking I was in auschwitz.

3 Likes

Hey. That’s your prerogative!

That must’ve been awful

Yeah, it scared the hell out of me.

1 Like