Schizophrenia.com

Scholarship for people with schizophrenia offered by Eli Lilly & Company

Healthcare giant Eli Lilly & Company is offering scholarship opportunities for people with schizophrenia, to help them go back to college and reintegrate into society.

They award only a limited number of scholarships per year. And there is an extensive application process. But this scholarship may be just what you need to get education, training, and re-enter the workforce!

Check it out!

http://www.disabilityscholarships.us/disability-scholarships/lilly-reintegration-schizophrenia-scholarships-for-disabilities/427/

Blessings,

Anthony

That is very cool.

I’m sort of at a loss for words with how cool that is. Some help to reintegrate…

Thank you for posting this.

I hope @SunGirl sees this.

Yes! That’s exactly who I had it mind!

Blessings,

Anthony

@radmedtech and @SurprisedJ Thank you so much for thinking of me! Anthony thank you for posting this. Unfortunately, and I will probably run into this again, it doesn’t apply to online schooling. I remember there was a scholarship that NAMI mentioned that would have been perfect but in the fine print it said you couldn’t go to school online. Oh well. I’m not going to give up. Today I am filled with abundant hope for the future. Things will work out, they always do. :sunny:

I might apply for this. I had a couple relapses that screwed up my academic career. Maybe this, coupled with a medical wavier of the loan and medical forgiveness for the poor grades during the relapse, could get me back in school. Something to do in October.

Correspondence courses and online distance learning are disallowed. If it were not for these options, I would not have been able to obtain any post secondary education. I cannot function in a standard classroom. This scholarship is not well thought out, well intentioned as it may be.

10-96

I contacted the Lilly people last month, the scholarship opens up again for the 2015-16 school year in Oct. Its closed for the 2014-15 school year.

Well I have an academic scholarship already so I wouldn’t qualify. I am a little suspicious as to who this would go to, as schizophrenic students are already highly functioning and they most likely wouldnt give it to someone they think is unstable because they would drop out of school. I guess schizophrenic students who are financially struggling and doing well in school?

Here’s the requirements:

-Have a documented diagnosis of bipolar disorder, schizophrenia, schizoaffective disorder.
·         To apply for a Reintegrtion scholarship, you must be currently receiving
medical treatment for the illness, including medications and psychiatric
follow-up.
·         Be actively involved in rehabilitative or reintegrative efforts, such as
clubhouse membership, part-time work, volunteer efforts or school
enrollment or in competitive employment.
·         Complete
an application package that includes an application form, essay,
transcripts (if applicable), recommendation forms from three references
and school financial requirements.

financial requirements is where it has me beat. I dont have any financial requirements.

Thanks for the link, @radmedtech. I may apply for this scholarship.

I knew that would be in there without even looking at it . It’s a scholarship by big pharma with the condition you take meds provided by big pharma. Well, I suppose at least they are giving some of the profits back they make on the outrageous prices of psych meds !
It makes best sellers like Prozac
Lilly makes Zyprexa which costs over $300 a month.
Just for some info…

“In January 2009, the largest criminal fine in U.S. history, totaling $1.415 billion was imposed on Lilly for illegal marketing of its best-selling product, the atypical antipsychotic medication, Zyprexa”

"The criminal information, filed in the Eastern District of Pennsylvania, alleges that from Sept. 1999 through at least Nov. 2003, Eli Lilly promoted Zyprexa for the treatment of agitation, aggression, hostility, dementia, Alzheimer’s dementia, depression and generalized sleep disorder. The information alleges that Eli Lilly’s management created marketing materials promoting Zyprexa for off-label uses, trained its sales force to disregard the law and directed its sales personnel to promote Zyprexa for off-label uses.

The information alleges that beginning in 1999, Eli Lilly expended significant resources to promote Zyprexa in nursing homes and assisted-living facilities, primarily through its long-term care sales force. Eli Lilly sought to convince doctors to prescribe Zyprexa to treat patients with disorders such as dementia, Alzheimer’s dementia, depression, anxiety, and sleep problems, and behavioral symptoms such as agitation, aggression, and hostility."

http://www.justice.gov/opa/pr/2009/January/09-civ-038.html

Not saying don’t apply for scholarship, but just know who you are getting it from…

Funny the reintegration center’s website doesn’t mention any affiliation with the pharmaceutical company. But I see there is one now that you’ve pointed it out.