Home, About, Contact Us, FAQ

Schizophrenia vs. Autoimmune Encephalitis - Hashimoto's Encephalitis Story

Hi everyone,

I wanted to share my story here of being misdiagnosed with schizophrenia for almost a year and eventually receiving a diagnosis of Hashimoto’s Encephalitis (which is a type of autoimmune encephalitis). I want to spread this information in order to help people receive proper diagnosis as there could be other out there suffering from autoimmune disease without knowing it. I was treated with antipsychotics for more than half a year and did not respond to them. In fact I only got worse and had a suicide attempt. It was only after high levels of thyroid antibodies were found that I was referred to a neurologist and given a diagnosis. I have now been treated with high dose intravenous steroids and prednisone. I have definitely improved since the time when I was on olanzapine, completely non functional. I encourage others to test for thyroid and autoimmune conditions!

Thank you boy, this is valuable information.

I hope this helps someone to get a proper diagnosis if they were misdiagnosed! I suggest everyone to get autoimmune testing just in case - Anti-Tg, Anti-TPO antibodies, c-reactive-protein, rheumatoid factor, ANA antibodies, etc.