Schizophrenia or something else?

@Ali definitely see a psychiatrist for an evaluation.
Good luck!

5 Likes

I used to have the exactly same symptoms like you. I didn’t hear voices coming form anywhere else but they were in my head like my narrative words. But I interpreted them as telepathic communication with random people. I had only delusions. And I was having insight constantly about my symtoms as I doubted whether I have sz or not but this insight became intermittent as time goes by. It took for me a long time to develop into sz but I’ve never heard any voices even after diagnosis.

1 Like

I think what people tend to forget regarding insight is that we live in the age of accessible knowledge. It’s very easy to learn about different mental illnesses these days, without even seeing a doctor. But of course, I don’t approve of self-diagnosing. I think a psychiatrist is absolutely necessary if your MI is affecting your life or your relationships adversely.

1 Like

That’s what I was thinking, so maybe it’s another mental illness? Or maybe a few put together that make it seem like sz

There’s a form of schizophrenia called simple schizophrenia, which is schizophrenia without the positive symptoms. Sounds a lot like what you have.

Still, don’t go with web diagnoses, please see a doctor.

1 Like

Also can be some anxiety, DID, and OCD.
An evaluation from a qualified psychiatrist is necessary.

1 Like

Insight is possible after podromal as well. I’ve had my insight back for quite awhile.

2 Likes

I’ve always wondered if people with sz are always unaware of their illness? Or does it come in waves?

Good point. I definitely still have moments where I don’t realize I say or do something “off”.

1 Like

That’s only true for a segment of the sz population. Some never hear voices at all, or the onset can be insidious and quite mild at first. And the issue of insight also remains a moot point. No 2 cases are the same

1 Like

The important thing here is that you appear to have insight. Having not had any when I was sick and having no support from people that understood MI - family or otherwise, you are in a much stronger position.

I am not saying you do or don’t have the illness, but if you can get some kind of treatment early, that will help you a lot.

I would say try not to pathologise everything if you can help it, it isn’t healthy.

1 Like

My voice also narrates what i do.
It’s called running commentary

2 Likes

What does MI mean?

1 Like

It’s possible to have insight into your condition. I voluntarily sought out help because I knew I was hallucinating and I didn’t like it. I am diagnosed with schizophrenia. I’ve never refused treatment or thought I wasn’t sick. As soon as I found out hallucinations aren’t just something everyone has but no one talks about, I wanted them gone.

2 Likes

MI is mental illness

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.