Schizophrenia: Nutrition and Alternative Treatment Approaches

Introduction

I have been diagnosed with paranoid psychosis sometime in 2002. Over the coming years, the symptoms recurred and this led to paranoid schizophrenia. As I am generally a very curious and academically oriented person, I also read a lot about this illness and topics related to it in popular and academic literature and on internet fora. I tried many of the mainstream and alternative approaches towards treatment. I hope that some of the insights gained will help further the treatment of this illness in the future.

My search for alternative approaches to manage this illness has helped me stay in stable full-time employment (since 2005) and to improve my general wellbeing and happiness and avoid hospitalization. While, for a couple of times, I tried to cope without medication, I am now using medication regularly (Risperidone between 2 and 4 mg, Citalopram 20 mg). I found that medication is necessary for keeping me stable. However, I also found that medication alone did not provide me the levels of wellbeing and functioning that I could achieve by complementing them with additional approaches such as good nutrition, staying off of stimulants as far as possible, and regular exercise.

This article will first present a short description of my first episode in 2002. It will then discuss my diet at the time and since then, and then go on to discuss a range of various alternative and dietary treatments that I have tried and how I benefitted from them.

5 Likes

Good article.
My son does poorly when he drinks those high-energy, or monster drinks and of course-too much coffee.

Me too I usually drink a half gallon of cold green tea over the course of the day but if I drink like 3 glasses fast my mind can flip out.I also noticed when I don’t eat healthy the preservatives and excess fat build up really effects my mental state. I m prone to depression and I can usually alleviate that with excersise unless my system is full of junk.