Schizophrenia name change?

I think in Japan or something they were calling it integration disorder

3 Likes

I’m fine with schizophrenia myself.

3 Likes

I’m fine with keeping the status quo. It works perfectly fine and stigma is not because of the name. It’s from false assumptions and naming it something different would not change too much I could see.

1 Like

I’m torn by this question. On the one hand, a pig by any other name…blah blah blah. But I have to wonder if a new name would reduce the stigma? Especially in the world of entertainment and culture. Tough question.

1 Like

if they change the name will the name of this forum change too then? That would be weird huh

1 Like

Psycomad. 11111111222

I’ve stated this before.

We should rename our affliction…

Schizo-Doodly-Bop!

It’s got a friendly, kinda catchy ring to it!

Eh? Huh??

1 Like

I think “mental illness” is too broad. It already encompasses so many other disorders. Changing it to such a broad name would hinder understanding of what we go through as schizophrenic people.

I like “nondegenerative dementia” because people are familiar with dementia. They understand that it is something that should not be demonized or stigmatized. Schizophrenia used to be called something like premature dementia long long ago. I’d have to look up why the name changed but I like this association better. I think people think that schizophrenia sounds dangerous. “Nondegenerative dementia” doesn’t. Not to me.

After all, it takes into consideration the cognitive struggles we have as well. People hear schizophrenia and they think hallucinations, voices and weird thoughts.

But that’s not all this disorder is. It’s forgetting what someone just told you. It’s having trouble with logic. It’s needing more time to complete problem solving issues than the average person. It’s having disordered moods. It’s being confused a lot. It’s frequently misunderstanding the intentions of others… I think the word “dementia” does a better job at conveying all that.

The “Nondegenerative” part differentiates the most important difference between Sz and dementia, that one is a mental illness and the other is medical.

All around the best name IMO.

Overall the stigma changed according to the stats.

In Hong Kong, the Chinese name if directly translated to English, is “Perception Sensory Disorder”. I think that is a name that describes the underlying chracteristics of schizophrenia well. It also has a much less serious connotation.

Branding and naming can be important towards reducing stigma. In old days, intellectual disabilities are referred to “■■■■■■■■” in 1960s. Before that it was called idiot and imbecile. By calling the name intellectual disabiltiies, people would see the illness as less serious and it is also less likely to be used as an insult.

1 Like

I’d like to be referred to as ‘reality impaired’

1 Like

call it nutty…

I agree with you @shutterbug . We seem to focus so much on the image something has, rather than working on the reality behind that image.

If we could accomplish one thing, regarding image, for me it would be to clarify the fact that schizophrenia is not split personality disorder.

Actually, two things. Destroy schizophrenia forever lol

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.