Schizophrenia / Mental Health Treatment in 3rd World Countries - some examples

Thank God we are living in this day and age of modern meds - I cannot imagine where I would be or how I would be treated if I lived in a third world country decades ago - @gainesms get real, man

1 Like

Manipulating the internet for nefarious reasons is beyond my capability and not a desire of mine.

1 Like

That’s my job. :smiling_imp:

2 Likes

I don’t think anyone here questions that the mentally ill are mistreated in poorer countries. Of course they live in filth, are treated poorly, go hungry, and a host of other evils. The poor suffer many of these same evils. That is the nature of a third world country.

That has nothing to do with the fact that the mentally ill go on to recover at greater rates in third world countries where neuroleptics and psychiatric medicines are unheard of. You can continue to ignore this glaring study — detrimental to psychiatry’s feel-good message — at your peril.

If you choose to chemically lobotomize yourself — pay to do it — and smile at the notion — you’re free to do that. My problem arises when [1] someone suggests forcing chemicals down my throat (or anyone else’s, for that matter), [2] downplays the detrimental effect they have on the mentally ill and society writ large, [3] suggests that mental illness is untreatable except with medication.

Losing yourself, and calling it a cure, is a high price to pay for luxury.

We are living in the dark ages of psychiatry.

I think it’s easy for people to not fully realize how horrific these conditions are when they sit comfortably behind their computers and just read it on the screen. It’s similar to the thread about anti-psychotic medications, people get caught up in their own issues. The institutions, the lobotomies, the shock treatments, the ice baths, these are all what we would have had to endure before anti-psychotics. People these days feel dissatisfied and think they’ve got it rough. I doubt any of us would be able to handle being shackled to a tree, starved, and beaten. The truth is we have it easy.

3 Likes

This is not shrinkage — this is a loss and decay of specific brain regions and functions.

Much like a lobotomy.

Nope, try again.

Exactly like a lobotomy (?)

You know you’re dealing with stubborn people when they justify losing parts of their brain as a cure.

At first I thought that you were mixed up and a bit naive on the subject of psych meds - but your distorted views and anti psychiatry stance is genuinely now getting on my nerves it now seems to me that you just want to stir up the pot - you have no clue what you are talking about. If I were you I would stop spewing out your venom.
This is a supportive site - many of the folks around here - including me rely on their meds to function - stop flinging your hateful biased ■■■■■■■■ views - its getting annoying and I for one am getting very tired of all the ■■■■■■■■ that is flying around here from you

3 Likes

I’m schizophrenic just like you are — I deserve support just as much as you do, as do others who choose a more natural path. We are going through many of the same issues and I don’t think it has ever been denied that there are no easy answers — and certainly no simple solutions.

From my perspective, those who are struggling deserve to know the facts. You think otherwise. If the answer was clearcut, there would be no debate and we’d all be on the same side. As it is, the answer isn’t clearcut, especially with such a complex issue, and knowledge, contrary to being counterproductive, is the only way to arrive at an informed decision.

You call it ■■■■■■■■. I’m sorry you find facts so inconveniencing.

any abuse of race , creed, sex( male or female or child ), or mental illness is an afront to the essence of decency.
humanity is cruel, and i for one am glad i live in a society that is a little more respectful and tolerant of mental illness…and civil rights.
take care

1 Like

The trouble is you want support but are unwilling to give it, preferring to spout antipsychiatry propaganda.
It would be different if you had some intelligent and reasonable criticisms of psychiatry to make.

1 Like

Choosing for yourself not to take meds is one thing but spouting propaganda designed to scare people into not taking theirs is another.
@darksith is not here with an agenda .

3 Likes

I’m not trying to convert him. It’s his life, if he doesn’t want meds that’s cool. I just fight the outright lies and falsehoods he spreads.

Are meds perfect? No. Can some people function without them? Yes. But the majority do need them. Taking meds is not like having a labotomy. We are not in the dark ages of psychiatry. Meds help.

It is important to fight against these false ideas about medication. People need to know the truth. It is hard enough to take meds without reading all this fear mongering. Regardless of what many believe, this is a site devoted to evidence based treatment and support. The evidence that anti-psychotics are the best treatment for schizophrenia is not in question, it is almost universally accepted. It would be wrong of us to not fight for the truth.

Oh and just a note, homeopathy is horseshit.

3 Likes