Schizophrenia is actually a funny illness

All I know is that delusions can be so similar but going psychotis can feel so novel. I like that Dire Straits song…two people think they’re Jesus, one of them must be wrong.

We do some seriously weird stuff. I wish I had a penny for every story about embarrassing behavior. But it amazes me that we go through similar things.

I read a bit about the history of psychiatry when I was diagnosed. There was this case study by someone pre 20th C who described this 30 year old who went what we would call psychotic. They even drew a complicated picture of the machine that France, They were English Patients…( Kudos for using that analogy to me!), was using to complicate their thoughts. We are all suffering a similar concern!

Surely you can’t be serious?

I am and don’t call me Shirley! :slight_smile:

if it is then its a bad joke, what a lot of time i have wasted with this illness, i lost my teenage and young adult years :frowning: my 20’s were a write off, at least my 30’s have been better, if my illness was funny then i’m not laughing.

3 Likes

I have insight so if I have an episode, I know it’s not real and it’s just stupid thoughts… psychosis is like one of the worst things that could happen to me right now. If it weren’t for that fear, I’d be 90% happy right now.

I remember thinking I was God, the devil, and everything in between, all at once. It was nice coming back down to earth, per se, and realizing I’m just a girl with a psychotic disorder lol. Sometimes I can laugh about what I went through. I’ve found humor to be a great way to cope, personally.

1 Like

Laughter is the best medicine.

Those who take it so serious and get angry instead of see it in a funny way are the ones to blame for the stigma !!!

Oh. This is really sad.

I once made plans to take off with this man in the psych hospital, to the Nevada desert to wait on Jesus’ space ship. We drew out a map with Google maps that our nurses printed us. He said he’d steal his wife’s car and we could smoke pines from pine trees instead of marijuana. We spent all our time drawing flags from around the world. We were going to go out like gta style. Go around stealing cars, convenient stores. I gave him my number to let me know when he’d pick me up. He text me a few times to let me know he was ok and he left without me. Haven’t heard d from him since.

1 Like

I guess I can see the funny side of seeing Dick Turpin under my coffee table and thinking he lived under there. My partner still can’t see the funny side. That really scared him.

Seriously though. Some of the delusions people get with sz, myself included are absurd.

Probably the best outlook on these silly hallucinations … don’t give them credence - just focus on tasks at hand each day to do what you have to do to be how you got to be

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.