Schizophrenia genetics

1 Like

They say genes that code for dopamine receptors and synapse pruning (brain development) are abnormal.

1 Like

I hope we get genetic therapy for sz if its not too late for the brain once its developped.

1 Like

Also you don’t need to have someone in your family with sz to get sz. They say it takes multiple small genes to get sz so if both parents have complementary sz genes that aren’t active in them because they require other genes, the offspring can have sz when these different small sz genes are bound together from mother and father.

If its epigenetic it might be possible alter which gene is expressing itself for dopamine production or whatever and trigger another gene. I believe the dna strand in the neuron cell nucleus releases rna for protien / dopamine production. But triggering the right gene to express itself is a lot more complicated than blocking dopamine receptors with ap antagonists.

1 Like

Yea from my understanding genetic therapy uses a lab made virus to inject DNA into our genes. Its why they also say that certain infections during pregnancy can cause sz. Yes its way more complicated than using antipsychotics. I think we got very lucky with the discovery of AP as I read that they were discovered by accident and they knew nothing about neurotransmitters like dopamine back then in the 1950s. I read that a French surgeon used Thorazine on patients before surgery for some reason and they found out that it cured sz when patients had sz.

3 Likes

So far it’s just me and a cousin who have Sz.

1 Like

I just reread Wikipedia and the reason they used Thorazine for surgery was to sedate patients for surgery, they called it an anaesthetic booster. I think its why APs are called major tranquilizers.

1 Like

Ill have to read up on genetic therapy. I dont know if it is just a concept or not but the idea of a virus being able to infect a whole brain without destroying it seems impossible. Maybe a prion would work better in my understanding

Edit

I was thinking of a retrovirus. A retrovirus inserts a copy of its genome into the host cell.

1 Like

Genetic therapy already exists for some genetic defects but these disorders are way more simple and affect much less genes than sz.

1 Like

I dont know if I have confidence in technology like that. If theres a message to take away from the accidental discovery of aps, its that people do things without fully understanding the effects they will have. Im hopeful for a cure for sz but this kind of thing is way over my head. I definitely wouldnt want the therapy unless a good number of people were successfully treated over a long period of time.

1 Like

That wikipedia link actually started to make me a little paranoid. I started thinking stuff about bioweapons and covid. Ill have to really get my facts straight and be knowledgeable if I’m going to be reading futurist stuff like that.

1 Like

My brother and I both have it and we share just one common parent, and on her side of the family there are no diagnosed people. It’s kind of odd.

1 Like

I’m blaming the insertion of frog DNA to fill the missing genetic sequences. We all know how THAT ended.

3 Likes

No one else in my family has mental illness

1 Like

A minor detail in Jurassic Park that really made no difference to the immediate fate of the characters in the movie. But splicing frog dna is a little ironic way of underlining the point that nature finds a way

Yesssssssssss. Fellow film buff. You, sir, have the genetics that count.

:heart:

1 Like

Sorry about that.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.