Home, About, Contact Us, FAQ

Schizophrenia: Galantamine-memantine combination Helps with cognitive impairments

Summary:

As shown in the table, in participant 1, the MCCB scores improved in five out of seven domains except working memory and verbal learning. In participant 2, there were improvements in speed of processing and working memory scores.

Details Below:

Cognitive Impairments Associated with Schizophrenia (CIAS) are core features. There are no approved treatments for CIAS. Hence, the de- velopment of new pharmacological approaches for CIAS is critical to re- ducing long-term disability.

Several preclinical studies with the galantamine-memantine combi- nation synergistically improved cognition compared to either of the two compounds administered as monotherapy in mice and rat cortical neurons at a cellular level. Synergistic role of the alpha-7 nicotinic acetylcholine receptor (α- 7nACh) and N-methyl D-aspartate (NMDA) receptors and the improve- ment of cognition in rodents was demonstrated (Nikiforuk et al., 2016).

In a 2-year randomized controlled trial (RCT) with 232 elderly subjects with cognitive impairments, a combination of galantamine and memantine showed significant improvement in cognitive scores com- pared to galantamine alone

The objective of this study was to examine whether galantamine and memantine combination would enhance cognition in people with schizophrenia.

Participants received a combination of galantamine and memantine—titration details were as follows: Week 1: galantamine ER 8 mg HS and Memantine XR 7 mg HS; week 2: galantamine ER 16 mg HS and memantine XR 14 mg HS; weeks 3–6: galantamine ER 24 mg HS and memantine XR 21 mg HS (HS = bedtime; ER and XR = extend- ed release). There were no concerning side effects reported.

The MATRICS Consensus Cognitive Battery (MCCB) scores and KP metabolites in participants with schizo- phrenia on the galantamine-memantine combination are summarized in Table 1.

Full Paper Here:

http://sci-hub.cc/10.1016/j.schres.2017.07.005

That’s awesome! I take memantine and it helps me a lot with social withdrawal. I got better of alogia as well and my memory is better. I’m wondering if I should talk to my doctor about galantamine. Are there more studies about it?

i tried galantamine, still have some in my cupboard. i don’t know about cognitive benefit but i have found an increase in lucid dreaming within days. it is really great for that .