Schizophrenia and relationships

My wife and I are bonded over our love of both literature and cooking. Good to have common interests.

2 Likes

My girlfriend also has schizophrenia. So we bonded over schizophrenia? No, Netflix (hence 2 TVs).

3 Likes

Hey, it’s Jacob! I’m subscribed to him. He helped me with hard times whenever I first got schizophrenia and was trying to figure out how to help myself with the delusions. He has some videos about what triggers it, so i knew what to avoid.

1 Like

i’ve tried everything they say, everything that should be tried, online, offline, so it’s not me - i am glad for my part i tried. woman are petty is my final conclusion, lol. i just wish they new how much i love them. so many tears i’ve cried.

1 Like

Due to paranoia I had a lot of friends but found it hard to form romantic relationships with people due to paranoia. Since the meds I’ve been able to have decent relationships with women and it’s improved my general relationships for sure.

Get the meds right and there’s a lot you can do!

3 Likes

Having sz or sza can make having a relationship a little challenging, for sure.

But I definitely don’t think it’s impossible.

I think a lot of our married posters and posters with partners on this forum can testify to that.

1 Like

I know nothing, I was a lone wolf even before getting sick.

I wish I was uglier… I don’t like to be noticed by women.

2 Likes

A “relationship” does not have to be sexual. You can live with one or two people in an apartment and somehow that works out for years. That’s just basic human understanding and getting along. Some people may have trouble even with that. Then there’s the relationships where you feel close and talk every day and do things together frequently. Perhaps with the opposite sex. You have to have sufficient self concept or mental integrity to do this without being dependent. Some people feel the number one goal to to have a sexual relationship. This works for some people I know.
I feel having a few same sex friendships is an excellent start before launching into a fully sexual heterosexual relationship. I think you need to be stable.
I hope that helps a little.

1 Like

A relationship is certainly possible for a schizophrenic, as many here exemplify. I am happily married and have been for 15 years, since before my diagnosis. Understanding and patience are critical on the part of the significant other, and both parties need to be willing to put in the work that it takes to make a relationship function well. A good relationship doesn’t just happen; it takes participation from both partners, whether one is schizophrenic or not.

4 Likes

All my life, I was noticed by the opposite sex. And although I was flattered, I really didn’t like it. That wasn’t the attention I wanted. I liked women. And I liked the feminine women. Usually the straight ones. And they were never interested. So, I was forever being chased by the wrong people: men and butch dykes. The bane of my existence. Looking back, I think I would have rather have been celibate, as I am today.

2 Likes

Thanks for your honesty. I respect this important life long experience you have had.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.