Schizophrenia and Qeeg-driven Neurofeedback

http://neurofeedback.csusb.edu/documents/Schizophrenia%20and%20the%20Efficacy%20of%20NF%20-%20Turkey.pdf

"Forty-seven out of 48 schizophrenic subjects showed clinical improvement after NF
treatment, based on changes in their PANSS scores. "

“Of these 51 subjects, 19 responded to
treatment and their brain electrical activity changed to the point where they could no longer
be classified as schizophrenic,”

brb going deep in debt to get into neurofeedback.

5 Likes

Not available in our country…

This is interesting. I wonder if there has been any research into neurofeedback for non-chronic sz and with concomitant antipsychotic use. Also, while 19 could no longer be classified as having sz, it is apparent from the results that most of these went back to using AP meds, so this is not a complete cure for many. Also, they did not appear to use a control group, which will be needed in future studies, but the effect on symptoms nonetheless appears to be bigger than what you would expect from a placebo. It also seems to have a big effect on negative symptoms. But it would be interesting if they did a similar study with a longer follow-up. I have bookmarked it so I can read it more closely some other day. Thanks! :slight_smile:

Soon they will free us all from madness.

And it will be just.like.that.

I have been using neurofeedback for eleven years. For seven of those years, I did not take any medicine at all, and I managed to work three jobs, graduate college, and then work full time for a year. Then I had a psychotic break, and now I need medication, but I still do neurofeedback. It helps a lot. I eventually bought my own machine, because that was cheaper as a long term plan. Do some googling in your area, because most practitioners will let you pay on a sliding scale or offer scholarships.

5 Likes

How old are u ninjastar

I’m 28 and I started when I was 17.

1 Like

What machine do you have? 32 channels? what does it consist of? How much did it cost you? Is it easy to set up and use?

Thanks in advance for any response…

Would I need a doctor’s recommendation?

My machine is a very early model, and it was specially designed by my old psychologist. He was also an engineer. It cost me $5,000, including the computer and the program to run it. But that was back when the technology was brand new. I’m sure they’re cheaper now. Mine was very easy to set up. Just plug it in and push start.

The board game MindFlex is available on Amazon for $99 and it uses the same basic technology. It is rougher on the brain though. I tire out much more quickly using MindFlex.

3 Likes

No, you don’t need a recommendation. You can just call up a practitioner in your area and get an appointment. they don’t accept insurance, though, so make sure you ask in advance about payment options.

1 Like

I read the whole thing. Very interesting! It said that the ones who could no longer be classified sz, that it was based on the QEEG, not that those patients actually didn’t have sz anymore. However, I looked at the PANSS scores changes they posted too, and those absolutely could be considered life changing.

It looks like this was from 2011. I haven’t looked for any other papers on this topic. I hope it is being investigated.

Just a general comment: One of the things that bugs me in general about the reporting on non medication theraputics is that they’ll say it has a lack of enduring effect (therefore they conclude it isn’t worthwhile) But no one ever says risperdal only works when you take it, so it’s not worth it.

4 Likes

Yes, I wondered about that, then interpreted the sentence as meaning both symptoms and brain maps. But I didn’t read it closely, so I’m sure you are correct. The reduction in PANSS scores seemed huge. I was really surprised by that, and I definitely need to read up on this subject.

1 Like

This is a neurofeedback study starting in October in San Deigo, California, USA. It’s open label, which means no placebo.

2 Likes

A single case study from China.

2 Likes

Awesome discussions guys! Thanks.

Does anyone know where/how I can find a psychiatrist who is an expert in BOTH schizophrenia and neurofeedback. I want to be weaned off my medication (zyprexa 2.5 mg), and if he could switch me to a medication with fewer side effects with the help of neurofeedback, my life would change dramatically. Or if I didn’t need any meds at all that would be even more awesome.

Idly wondering here if my passport is up to date, because a 2 month vacation to Turkey (where this clinic is located) is sounding pretty damn good right now. Turkey has some political and refugee difficulties right now. But they also have seaside resorts, archeological/historical sites, cultural and art attractions, and good food.

It’s idle because I can’t afford to do that, but eh, maybe some day.

My understanding is for best effect, the treatment has to be geared to whatever is going on in your brain, and a one size fits all off the shelf program might not be helpful.

There are clinics in the US but most of them seem to focus on depression, anxiety, ADD and OCD. Which, frankly I could use help with too.

1 Like

My suggestion is to google practitioners in your area, and call them up to ask if they have experience with psychotic disorders. Most of them don’t actively advertise psychosis because it’s such a small market.

1 Like

I will add that my neurofeedback was intended to treat my OCD, but it also worked on my paranoia and delusions. It didn’t touch my hallucinations, though.

2 Likes

Thanks guys.

I think there’s a protocol on treating visual and auditory hallucinations in my OP that you might want to try.

Do you mind sharing the protocol you used for paranoia? I have persecutory delusions when not on meds. Thanks.

1 Like