Schizophrenia and Qeeg-driven Neurofeedback

Basically, you wear a sensor on your forehead that measures the thermal output of your prefrontal cortex. When your rational mind is active, the activity there is higher and it gives off more heat. Paranoia, anxiety attacks, OCD compulsions, etc all happen when activity in your limbic system gets too high, which shuts down your rational thinking.

I watch a movie while hooked up to this. Movies are also designed to shut down your rational mind and activate your limbic system. Whenever my prefrontal cortex activity drops below a certain point, the movie pauses. Then, I have to calmly concentrate on re-activating my rational mind to turn the movie back on. Over time, this trains your brain to stay rational during times of extra stress.

I learned a few shortcuts that accomplish the same basic concept. They sound stupid and pointless, but I swear they work. First, try levitating something with your mind. You wonā€™t get frustrated that you canā€™t do it, because you already know itā€™s impossible. But it forces your brain to calmly concentrate on a fixed point and block out upsetting thoughts.

Second, put an ice pack on the back of your head, near the base of your skull. Your brain stem is there, and it is part of your limbic system. By cooling it down, you reduce activity in that area and give your rational brain a chance to re-engage.

3 Likes

Ninjastar, so you were doing temperature biofeedback. Thanks. Iā€™m looking into it.

Did you do any eeg neurofeedback at all?

1 Like

No, I honestly didnā€™t know there was a difference. I thought it was just an updated version of the same thing.

Bah, if anyone finds one in LA county, please post. Around here, they just seem to be for autism and ADHD.

There was one guy, but he used some different protocol that I couldnā€™t find any scientific papers on, so meh.

Yeah eeg has to do with electrical activity. You put sensors that measure electrical activity on your scalp. Then brainwaves are shown on your computer. The kind of feedback ive been using darkens the screen when youre producing the wrong brainwaves, then the screen returns to normal when youre producing the right brainwaves. So i can do anything on my computer while training at the same time. I can watch youtube videos, play video games, surf the internet, or read an ebook.

1 Like

Twinkle, i know a practitioner in Santa Monica, heā€™s a fellow of a big psychiatric organization and has decades of experience, so he must have some experience with schiz. I think his last name is Brod if i remember correctly.

Thanks, I was able to find with Google. Donā€™t see anything about sz on the website but Iā€™ll check it out.

I did see several websites with equipment for purchase. Anyone here ā€œroll your ownā€? Looked kind of complicated to set up.