Schizophrenia and coronary artery disease

ABSTRACT: The prevalence of schizophrenia, a chronic and debilitating disease, is increasing nationally. Although suicide and high-risk behaviors contribute to the mortality of people with schizophrenia, the leading cause of death in this vulnerable patient population is coronary artery disease. Unfortunately, schizophrenic patients are not receiving adequate medical treatment to prevent risk factor progression to metabolic syndrome and CAD, and if they do develop CAD they are undertreated and receive poor follow-up care. Initiatives are needed to ensure that the burden of CAD in schizophrenic patients is controlled and does not continue to rise. These initiatives include ongoing monitoring for risk factors, improved communication between psychiatrists and physicians, and community outreach support. A current approach to CAD monitoring in a Canadian inpatient psychiatric ward involves obtaining baseline values for fasting blood glucose and other measurements when a patient is admitted, and then referring the patient to a physician if three of the measurements are outside normal limits.

http://bcmj.org/articles/schizophrenia-and-coronary-artery-disease

5 Likes

Think severe sz pts with negative symptoms (e.g. depression) – or positive symptoms that are beaten down with anti-Ps into “compression” – live sedentary lifestyles? Think most sz pts eat “really healthy diets” (not)? Think the meds add to that IF the pt doesn’t get the psychotherapeutic help that’s almost always required to make dose reduction possible?

“I am not responsible for my disease, but I am responsible for my recovery.”

1 Like

I have been on the lowest dose of Consta for 6 years and seen my weight balloon from about 14 to 18.5 stone. This is with regular antipsychotics as opposed to the previous irregular taking of them . Then my weight fluctuated between 12 and 14 stone.
I live a very sedentary lifestyle and although I have an exercise bike I use it frequently, lack of motivation being a major issue. If anything drive and motivation have worsened with medication not improved.
A sedentary lifestyle plus increased appetite (often eating as something to do to pass time as opposed to eating when definitely hungry) has raised cholesterol levels(moderately high) blood sugar (now on the border of pre diabetic) but blood pressure has stayed within normal range. Being alone and isolated also adds to the urge to eat. I notice when I do have company I eat far less.
Walking would probably help but not walking by myself in a restricted area that is very much inner town and far from picturesque and inspiring.
Due to problems venturing into unfamiliar but more stimulating environments ie the countryside is a virtual no no.
One of the plus sides of having a befriender was we ventured for walks in the countryside and along the sea shore.
A communal walking group for the mentally ill and interested carers would help but unfortunately such groups are few and far between.
Swimming used to be another activity I enjoyed until they moved the swimming baths from the centre of town.

Maybe you could take out an add for a care nurse who would go with you in his/her free time?

The help of a social worker might be an avenue into that too. My aunt is a social worker who helps her blind clients in her free time. If you could find someone like that it would be great.

1 Like

I have been on a strict low carb diet and have been walking for at least 30 minutes or more a day.
I have been losing weight but still have high fasting blood Glucose levels - Man it’s a no win situation

1 Like

It’s time to realize medical/psychiatric science has failed us and to insure our complete health, well-being, and peace of mind; we must strike out on our own and reclaim our true humanity and me-ness. We must each realize it is very okay to be who we really are without apology. When we achieve this realization; we can be truly free!

Do you know the reason why this prevalence is increasing : drug abuse, stress, urban environment, chemical or electromagnetic polution, diet modification…???