Schizoaffective bipolar type

The doctors have all told me different things, this one says schizoaffective, the last one said mood disorder. But this one agrees, its possibly only a mood disorder but doesn’t want to change the official dx yet. He’s a locum psychiatrist and I suspect the next time I see a doctor, they’ll be a different doctor with a different opinion. At this point, I have learned that diagnosis’ are a very subjective thing.

4 Likes

Absolutely.

So does this latest dx have any baring on your holiday? I hope you can still go!

2 Likes

Mood disorder is a very broad term.
It’s not really an accurate diagnosis.

Yes, different doctors, different diagnoses.

That’s why it’s best if you are able to see the same doctor on a regular basis.

I’ve been seeing my current psychiatrist for just over 10 years.

She is pretty certain of my bipolar diagnosis.

3 Likes

The psychiatrists in this team keep leaving… I really wish seeing the same pdoc was an option for me.

1 Like

It makes it worse the insrance is around £1500 to £2400 or so depending on the level of insurance I opt for . i am not going without it so it means I am not going.

Same. I think that’s just mental health care in the UK in a nutshell. They all leave or go on sick.

1 Like

Oh :pensive: really sorry you can’t go. I was rooting for you. Will you be able to get your money back from booking the holiday?

1 Like

Well, we booked it and then COVID happened so we got vouchers from BA to use on another trip… we can go anywhere we want and Europe insurance is a lot cheaper.

1 Like

I have had several different diagnosis. Basically if you have a mood disorder like bipolar (with psychosis) or schizoaffective the treatment protocol is very similar.

2 Likes

Im in the same boat…still… I will be starting with a new pdoc on friday. Hopefully it will refresh things a bit. I am told I have schizophrenia by my last pdoc, my nurse thinks I have bipolar, my therapist said bipolar, but I have bouts with delusional thinking…and memory issues…and I hear voices if I am not medicated.

1 Like

I think its harder to diagnose sza vs sz. I saw several pdocs and all said I have sz.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.