Schiz plus adhd

I think i may have posted something similar to this before so sorry if thats annoying. Anyway, the psych that i used to see said i have adhd and have had it since i was a kid. Which makes sense to me. The thing though is that she refused to treat it with any meds due to the risk of the adhd meds interacting badly with my schiz and antipsych meds. Which sucks.
So ive been seeing a new psych because i moved a few months ago to a new town. Im planning on bringing up my hope to treat my adhd. Its quite debilitating. Some people dont think its real or means much but it can be very hard to live day to day with it. I actually beleive that having really bad adhd as a kid propelled me to more likely get schiz when i was older. Ive tried adhd meds before and they really helped a lot.
Sorry for the elongated post but has anyone on here been treated for their adhd simultaneously while having schiz? Its hard to find good advice around this online.

1 Like

I tried a old ADHD medication called DMAE. It was under perscription until about 1983 when other medications took over. Since then it has been sold as a supplement over the counter.

My reason for trying it was OCD. I reacted badly to it though. I also read later that you shouldn’t take it if you have sz.

1 Like

Yeah theres a lot of research out there that says its risky to take adhd meds while on antipsychotics because adhd meds increase dopamine in some parts of the brain and antipsychs decrease them. So its possible that being prescribed adhd meds could exacerbate my schiz but im willing to risk it if my doc gives me the go ahead.

1 Like

My daughter was diagnosed as having adhd when she was young and we tried several different meds. I think they harmed her more than they helped her because she had other problems that were undiagnosed going on as well, like bi-polar. As an adult she has chosen to turn her back on the medical community and self medicates with illegal stimulants. The big problems with that is, one it’s illegal, and two, you don’t get consistent dosing and access.

1 Like

I asked my Dr to prescribe me Adderall or Ritalin for negative and cognitive symptoms, he refused and said I will endup psychotic. He told me to stay away from stimulants including supplements. I tried a dopamine boosting supplement thats much weaker than prescription stimulants and it helped my negative and cognitive symptoms but it made my positive symptoms and irritability/anger issues worse. So I guess my Dr was right and that stimulants will send me back psychotic to mental hospital.

1 Like

I take clozapine, abilify and adhd medication (methylphenidate and bupropion)
but the adhd med is in really small dosage… my doctor is very cautious with mixing these medications together.

it’s a shame because adhd makes my life a lot harder. though I also suffer of cognitive symptoms that schizophrenia causes. so they are overlapping. reading for example is impossible, focusing on something like a movie is hell. even if the movie is interesting and good. I’m going to cinema tomorrow and I’m already distressed about sitting still for 2,5 hours.

2 Likes

Here thats only used as an antidepressant and a quit smoking aid. Its called Wellbutrin.

Yes it’s an antidepressant but here it’s also used to help people with adhd/attention problems. The name is Voxra.

1 Like

I’m sza bipolar type and told in the past I have ADD. No H in mine. My pdoc will not prescribe stimulants, though. Said it would trigger psychosis.

I am on wellbutrin

1 Like

I’ve been diagnosed with ADHD. The plan is to start Adderall in August, once my life calms down a bit

Edit: I’m sza depressive type

2 Likes

I am currently being treated for my ADHD-I with 20 mg of Dexedrine daily. I’m also on paliperidone injection, loxapine, cymbalta. So far it’s okay but I don’t think I would increase the Dexedrine dose.

1 Like

Havent heard of dexadrine. Is it some kind of stimulant? How does it help?

1 Like

Its an amphetamine like Adderall, Dextroamphetamine. Instant psychosis for me.

1 Like

I have adhd, schizz and ptsd as well. they all suck…

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.