Scary wind noises

I keep thinking I am hearing voices though I can’t understand them. I venture to the place of the sound and it’s just the wind. It’s unnerving; I am about to use earplugs. If I still hear them then, I’ll be more unnerved.

Has this or something similar happened to you?

2 Likes

Yeah. I call it a distortion rather than a true hallucination, because it’s a real stimuli but your perception of it is warped. Most commonly I get visual distortions, which is where you are looking at an actual physical object but it looks like something completely different or scary, but I do also get auditory distortions where I hear an actual sound but mishear it as something strange. I’ve thought the wind was screaming before, or I mishear something as heavy breathing or something similar. When I was a kid my heartbeat sounded just like footsteps and I would get nervous that someone was walking to my room.

4 Likes

Thank you, Anna. That makes sense, we live several lots from anyone, so if voices were that close, they’d be trespassing and I would find that odd. So, I suspected they were auditory hallucinations but then when I went to find them, they just ran off like a bunch of sissies. But it makes sense that they were distortions rather than hallucinations because the wind noise is very audible today. So, I don’t need to frighten my husband with hallucination stories.

I remember having problems like that as a kid. If yours were terrifying like mine were terrifying, I am truly sorry. Those were rough times.

1 Like

Yeah it was worse back then because I had no awareness of my illness. Thankfully now I can reason through a lot of things. Sorry you had that scary experience today!

1 Like

I feel better now, thanks :slight_smile: I guess we can always be grateful for improved awareness over time.

1 Like