Sarcosine Reduces Symptoms in Schizophrenia

Hi everyone, I’m new to this forum. I’m on invega trinza 546mg and tried sarcosine from brainvitaminz. I didn’t notice any cognitive changes or improvements in memory. I recently bought some NAC and sarcosine from profrontal. I read somewhere online that brainvitaminz might be a scam.

2 Likes

Welcome to the forum @Solidus !
I don’t want to discourage you but I’ve also tried sarcosine in the past without noticing any positive effects. I dont remember which brand though. But everyone’s experience is different.
Good luck with NAC too, I haven’t tried that one.

Have you heard of CBT ? Cognitive behavioral therapy ? It involves retraining your consciousness by repeating self affirming phrases. Some claim it could improve depression or schizophrenia symptoms.

Take care,
Andrey

1 Like

Thank you for the warm welcome! I have heard of CBT although I’ve never given it a try. My younger brother tried it and he said that it involved games and such to improve your mind. He didn’t stay with it long enough to see any benefit. I think they might offer CBT at the agency I go to that includes my pdoc. I’m afraid to try though for fear it will be incredibly boring like my brother had said it was. I’d be willing to give it a shot maybe someday in the future. Have you done CBT? and if so did you notice any significant improvement?

1 Like

I did some CBT on myself (without a trainer, cause I couldn’t find one) with some positive results. But maybe it was just me getting hyped up about it. You know, sort of like faith healing or placebo. Anyway, better than nothing.
For brain games, I’ve heard good things about, and briefly tried Lumosity. Dunno how much you’d need to pay for a subscription, but they have some free ones too.
However, getting good at a game doesn’t necessarily mean getting better overall. Schizophrenia does involve cognitive impairment, but usually the most debilitating symptoms are negatives and positives which a brain game can’t really help improve.

1 Like

Thanks much for this post

1 Like

Hi,

I’m looking for information about manic phase and Sarcosine…
I read some posts but nothing really clear for me.

Thanks.

Question! I do not have Sarcosine in my country,
So I went and got the closest thing - DMG (which is N,N-Dimethyl-Glycine - one more methyl group) which metabolises into sarcosine.
I did a forum search and saw DMG mentioned a few times here, but still, I’d like to ask for clarity if anyone knows:

What would be a DMG dosage equivalent to 1mg Sarcosine?

Thank you!

Looks like BrainVitaminz went out of bussiness. Got to find another supplier.

I just ordered Sarcosine from ebay china about 20$ for 250g but I just read that 2 grams is toxic:
Toxicity

Motor impairment and respiratory issues have been observed in rats at 10mg/kg.

This equates to 800mg for an 80kg person.

Now I am scared to take it. Did anyone experience side effects from 2 to 4g of sarcosine?

I was on glycine 60g but it gave me nausea and sometimes I had to vomit.
I was able to work when on glycine but now can’t since I stopped taking it.

Also Sarcosine causes prostate cancer?
Knockdown of glycine-N-methyl transferase, the enzyme that generates sarcosine from glycine, attenuated prostate cancer invasion. Addition of exogenous sarcosine or knockdown of the enzyme that leads to sarcosine degradation, sarcosine dehydrogenase, induced an invasive phenotype in benign prostate epithelial cells.

1 Like

Oh well, I don’t mind getting cancer at 60y.o, I am 29. As long as it reduces my SZ symptoms.

DMG 125 mg is fine. It improves mood, cognition and also best for workout. Very useful for reducing day time drowsiness. Take it early morning to prevent affecting your night time sleep.

More needs to be discussed about the potential treatment of Niacin. Dr. Hoffer was a Canadian scientist that treated patients with high doses of vitamin B3 (Niacin) and vitamin C. Vitamin D3 and folate are also important for those of us with schizophrenia. My psychiatrist here in France noticed the fact I tended to deteriorate towards the end of the year so perhaps taking D3 supplements could help with this problem. It is similarly referred to as S.A.D. (Seasonal affective disorder).

Did you quit meds and stick on supplements,how are you doing

Hi. It’s good to see you here. Though you’ll toss this off like garbage

1 Like

Hello everyone. My brother is a victim of schizoaffective disorder and has extreme anhedonia as some will call it- that includes, but is not limited to a lack of pleasure, interest and enjoyment in normal activities. He also has poor memory and concentration. He believes strongly that this was caused by a drug named safforas that he took a while back. He’s tried antipsychotics to treat these side effects, but got no luck. He heard that sarcosine helps people with some of these symptoms, but before he tries it he wants to know if anyone has had any luck treating the side effects mentioned above. Specifically if they are someone who believes the side effects were caused by the anti-psychotics and not the illness. He currently takes zyprexa & vistaril.

@Ace24

I’d like to encourage you to join our forum for Family and Caregivers that can be found at:

While this is a peer support forum for people with schizophrenia and other closely related psychotic disorders, the Family forum is specifically for people like yourself, who have a loved one they are concerned about.

Also, please let your loved one know about this forum as they may find it helpful.

Best of luck,

Volunteer Moderator

@DearZombie

I’ve had SZ for over 25 years and am considered very high functioning (I work and pass for normal if I need to). These symptoms are mainly from SZ, but the meds don’t help here if you’re on high doses. Getting your meds sorted really helps with the positive symptoms. Getting some therapy and developing good lifestyle habits helps with the negative symptoms. Sarcosine helps with SZ symptoms and cognition, but it’s a very mild boost, it’s not going to knock anyone’s SZ symptoms flat. If he has SZ he most likely needs meds for life like the rest of us.

I just got Sarcosine in the mail. I already take D-Alanine, NAC and DMG…does anyone think it would be dangerous to add Sarcosine to the mix? I have been thinking of adding Phosphaditylserine too…the main medication I take is Perphenazine…

Ask. Your. Doctor.

None of the regular users here are qualified to dispense medical and pharmaceutical advice that I’m aware of.

2 Likes