Sarcosine Reduces Symptoms in Schizophrenia

One thing I’ve noticed… I think faster when I’m on Sarcosine. The problem is that I can’t type as fast as I think now and miss parts of words and sentences when typing. My reading speed has also improved.

Pixel.

Check this out:

Using Sci-Hub:

http://dx.doi.org.sci-hub.io/10.3109/15622975.2015.1117654

So this says it’s ineffective without sodium benzoate?

Yes - but many other studies show its effective by itself:

A randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled comparison study of sarcosine (N-methylglycine) and d-serine add-on treatment for schizophrenia

Meta-analysis of the efficacy of adjunctive NMDA receptor modulators in chronic schizophrenia.

Sarcosine (N-methylglycine) treatment for acute schizophrenia: a randomized, double-blind study

http://www.biologicalpsychiatryjournal.com/article/S0006-3223(07)00428-3/abstract

2 Likes

In lue of conflicting evidence, I’m going to be my own trusted source. I like the fluidity and clarity of my thinking on sarcosine. I also believe that the cognitive doors that are being opened will lead to new avenues…this expansion will continue in other words.

maybe you can says the differnece between cause and effect .maybe prostate cancer cuases high sarcosine but sarcosine doe not cause cancer .hacinbg high sarcoisne could be the effect of cancer rather than the cause for it.

HI! has any one any side effects of Sarcosine till now? Just asking as it is not prescribed as a treatment- per my doc.

my son takes abilify. as long as the doc says it’s safe for him to take sarcosine along with the abilify I will gladly buy it for him… thanks for info

1 Like

I am/was (mostly retired due to illness) a biochemist and my hubby decided some years ago to begin the tapering off the anti-psychotics after his PDoc at the time discovered that he was on too high of doses to the point it was making him a functional zombie. His words, not mine. After 20 years of the drugs, he had enough so we decided to go the natural route as he has been stable since his 20’s. After some trial and error with one nasty episode post-medication this so far is what is working for him.
Everything he takes I introduce according to protocols with his PDoc knowing full well what is going on. One supplement at a time so everything is fine tuned. This, so far, has taken a year and half. It’s marathon not a short race.

Vitamin B-3 (Flush) 3,000 mgs a day–He was feeling better before his episode and dropped the dose down to 500 mgs which is believed to have been a trigger for the psychotic episode.

Fish Oil-Krill-3,000 mgs a day with meals. i purchase organic/bio oils to be sure there is no heavy metals.

Vitamin C-1,500 mgs a day with meals. This was dropped from approx 3,000 mgs after Vitamin C cause gastric distress.

Folic Acid-400 mcg- With breakfast or morning snack.

Vitamin D–5,000 mgs–Will be dropped to 2,000 mgs in the spring and summer months as per RX.

Vitamin B-6-- 50 mg–With meals, 3x daily. This for depression related to his schizophrenia. The improvement with his depression on this alone has been dramatic.

Alpha Lipoic Acid–250 mg – Currently, once a day,but does increase as needed to 3x daily. This supports glutathione production in the brain and a free radical scavenger, Basically, it cleans the nasties.

Selenium–50 ug–At breakfast. Many uses,but, includes support of inflammation, free radicals, antioxidannts.

N-Acetyl-L-Cysteine(NAC)- 600 mg–2x daily with meals.Again, as with the B3 the affects have been dramatic. His negative/positive symptoms have improved. However, this was only added within the last two weeks so we are waiting a bit longer to get excited.

Sarcosine–He was on 3 grams daily, however, it was causing extreme issues with mood, panic attacks, scared feelings and loss of sleep even when on benzos. Reduced to 2 grams daily and he slept like a kitten. Anything higher currently he will destablise. His memory, and other cogitive functions have slowly improved to the point he has been able to read books for at least 30 minutes in a go. This is something he has not be able to do in years. His attention has evened out for the moment. Still is having issues with being distracted,but, not as much as before.

We will be adding in L-Theanine, Lysine in the coming weeks. We will begin next with L-Theanine with the usual 8 weeks before anything else is added in. Again, the reason we do it this way is to make sure he is not having any adverse effects, psychotic features and to check his blood work as we go.

As to his anti-psychotics medications-- He keeps one on hand in case he destablises which is Latuda at 37mg at night. He had Olanazapine (Zyprexa) however the weight gain, the flat effect and the blood sugar issues…his GP advised to discont. the med.

Finally, I keep a careful log of everything that he takes along with all noted reactions, symptoms etc. and present that monthly to his PDoc for review.

During the course of my research, I discovered that gluten (wheat etc) may have a link to the negative/positive symptoms of schizophrenia. I am still deep in research with this avenue. If the science holds to my liking and his testing bears out what I suspect, that will be the final course of action, diet wise. There is some information out there if you are handy with the science terms or PM me.

I adore, cherish and love my spouse. I want him to have is life back as best we able to get it back. He is a musician and through it all he has been able to play. I realise this may sound like he is science fair project,but, he isn’t. I would give anything for him to have one day of silence from everything. Life around here can be hard, but, he is worth it.

I hope this helps someone. :slight_smile:

8 Likes

I took high doses of niacin for a few years around 5 to 7.5 grams a day depending on symptoms (voices,hallucinations) it seemed to work.
But eventually I developed total intolerance to it and had bad stomach reactions to amounts as little as 500mg.

I don’t take it anymore been 1.5 years without it. and the voices seem to have faded off.

So I tend to think I just really needed to believe in something that would help me while I did the leg work (therapies) .

Hope your husband gets better

2 Likes

Second day on my new sarcosine! Here’s my current med list:

60 mg prozac, 150 mg lamictal, 50 mg busperone, 15 mg abilify

and these two:

baclofen (muscle relaxant for chronic neck pain) I forgot the dose, half a tab,tho
cannabis (for severe anxiety, mood disturbances not treatable through the pills): 3 bowls

My sarcosine: day 1: 1.7 grams sarcosine, in 2 doses stirred into green tea with milk and splenda.
plan for today: 2 grams sarcosine, same milk tea

So far: initial buzziness in my head, like in a good way, like there was “space and time” to think in my foggy brain. Alertness with no panic. Happened immediately after drinking. Also, a slight increase in heart rate. Like when I’m studying and trying to concentrate and my heart goes a little quicker. Nothing too fast, just noticeable. Became bubbly in writing and speaking. Enthusiasm that usually is rare, came out rather easy when writing about a new job (feelings of panic had subsided).

Questions

does caffeine affect efficacy?
have there been any studies on the effects of cannabis on sarcosine?
is this immediate sensation of alertness a placebo or what I should expect to experience?
does mixing diary affect the efficacy (don’t want to sound dumb, but I heard that adding half and half to matcha tea prevents the uptake of antioxidants or something…the matcha tea makers promoted not putting milk in matcha)?
bit of a tiny stomachache. I jumped right into 1.7 grams instead of 1 on day 1.

All in all, super stoked! :smile:

1 Like

http://ylchem1.en.alibaba.com/product/1666702019-220600829/Bulk_Sarcosine_for_sale_cas_107_97_1_from_China.html

just ordered 1 metric ton from china… :smiley:

kidding! :smile:

What is the highest dose that has been studied to be effective? Can I take 4 grams a day (1 g four times a day)?

I’m at a little under 2 grams on my second day. I have found a small stomach ache is a side effect of jumping into 1.7 mg from 0 mg, but other than that it changes my mind the little neurons fire faster colors nicer more vivid.

I would like to take 4 mg, can I?

Yes - the highest dose studied is 4 grams a day.

from this paper:

1 Like

My kid mixed up the packet of sarcosine with a packet of artificial sweetener and made the most expensive jug of iced tea, ever. I got somewhere between 10-20 grams at once. Very, very unpleasant. I’ve topped out at 6g/day. Over that and I lose function.

Pixel.

3 Likes

gluten may be a prioblem if you have hashimotos or hypothyroid which can aslo cause schizophernia .in such a case bromelain of pine apple has shown some promise in digesting whole proteins

BrainVitaminz can it be shipped to China?

All the vendors in the USA will ship all around the world - including BrainVitaminz. It just costs more for shipments.

Can Sarcosine be taken with Ziprasidone?

1 Like

There are no medicines that sarcosine has been identified as “causing problems” with.

Only for users of Clozapine has there been research suggesting no additional benefit - but it doesn’t show actual problems, its just that Clozapine seems to provide some targeting of the same brain receptors so there is no additional benefit from the sarcosine.