Russia launches military action in Ukraine

It started.

2 Likes

the u s govt. is fiercely sanctioning russia for the invasion.

1 Like

I live relatively close to Russia. I’ve grown up hearing about how they act. This isn’t surprising. It’s very sad, but this is what modern Russia has always been. I hope NATO contributes. Or at least that the sanctions work. They won’t stop with Ukraine.

2 Likes

I was about to start a thread about the subject but talking politics is banned on this forum.

It is a sad day for Ukraine though.

1 Like

The average life expectancy of a Russian male is 58 years because they drink so much, but I think we should try to treat people as individuals, and not as members of a particular group.

Yeah, I read that. This isn’t directed at you @jukebox but it seems like an impotent action. I don’t want the U.S. involved in another war any more than the next guy. But a major country is invading and bombing cities in another country and our “action” is to impose sanctions. It seems weak.

1 Like

That’s dumb. I’m talking about Russia starting wars, not Russian immigrants. I’m sure you understood this. A country is not its people when talking about international politics.

1 Like

I am going to try not to close this thread because of the importance of it. But please try to talk only about what is happening. As hard as it may be, try not make it political. This is a very hard topic to moderate at the current time. On the one hand, it’s a very important current event…on the other we have a very specific no politics rule.

I was going to go to sleep, but I guess I have to stay up and keep an eye on this thread for a bit

1 Like

Not all countries are equal. No 2 permanent members of the United Nations Security Council has gone to war against each other for 70+ years.

So depressing. 15151615151

2 Likes

It is a political thread

I think the west instigated and Russia responded…both are wrong here.

My stock portfolio has been going down. It sucks.

How did the West instigate it

1 Like

NATO expansion eastwards towards Russia.

1 Like

Well, are you following the news in the US only?

Imagine if Russia placed its nukes in Mexico. Would the US let it happen?

1 Like

Yeah, this is exactly what I was afraid of , people taking sides, talking policies of countries. I can’t leave this open unless we only state the facts of what is going on.

2 Likes

I’m not following this whole thing anywhere much.

Just a bit on BBC news and sky news