Role of GABA 1515151

We are all familiar with Dopamine and Serotonin and it’s roll in schizophrenia, but what about GABA? How does that play in this situation? Anyone care to share?

1 Like

Vitamin B6 increases gaba a lot. P5P (the active form of b6) is better for people who can’t convert b6 naturally.

1 Like

But what does it do to schizophrenic patients? I think it plays a big role in anxiety (According to this article)

There are region-specific changes in GABA function, including deficiencies in the GABA-synthesizing enzyme GAD67, in the PFC (prefrontal cortex), which in turn disinhibits the mesolimbic dopamine pathway, contributing to positive symptoms.

1 Like

Hmm, that’s interesting @InnerCircle, I never knew they were located in the Prefrontal Cortex. I always thought the PFC only contained dopamine pathways

Some people get extreme racing heart from gaba, and even panic attacks. It sounds good in black and white, but it can go either way. People should be careful.

I’m thinking dopamine channels effect anxiety. Alcohol increases gaba. THC increases gaba. A lot of things increase gaba.

I took phenibut (synthetic gaba) and I felt I was gonna die from a heart attack. But then I took regular gaba a different time and I felt much calmer, like bliss.

I think gaba has something to do with schizophrenia. But I’m more towards dopamine. Hard to tell what’s wrong with schizophrenia.

1 Like

I told my old psychiatrist that a beer once in a while helped me. I think she wanted to give me Topamax and Wellbutrin.

1 Like

@Green it definetly does, I wish more research could be done about it.

@insidemind Wellbutrin is awesome, it’s greatly helped my negatives.

1 Like

The prefrontal cortex is remarkably heterogeneous with multiple signalling pathways that influence a variety of neurotransmitter systems (e.g. monoamines and glutamate).

1 Like

There is a GABA hypothesis of schizophrenia. I can’t remember it completely but it still ties into dopamine, something like GABA neurons aren’t as responsive and that leads to the dopamine imbalance.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.