Researchers use AI in treating bipolar disorder

The AI tool helped predict response to medication with high accuracy.

2 Likes

The algorithm used an analysis of two types of patient brain scans, among other data, to predict with 100 percent accuracy which patients responded well and which didn’t. And the algorithm also predicted the reductions in symptoms at eight weeks, an achievement made even more impressive by the fact that only objective biological data were used for prediction rather than subjective opinions from experienced physicians.

That’s incredible! And scary too :fearful:

1 Like

I love AI!
It holds the promise to solve a lot of problems.

1 Like

Yes! To both, lol. But imagine, no more medication roulette. Even though current meds aren’t perfect, finding the right one right away (once this is expanded to other disorders and meds) it’s going to save lives.

1 Like

I wonder what would an AI suggest in my case, since there are no meds for my symptoms… I expect a blue error screen :smile:

1 Like

Yeah, right now not much. Machine learning could identify areas on brain scans and genetic makeup differences. But it can’t yet create drugs. Wouldn’t surprise me one bit if one day it could though.

I’m concerned this will stay limited to this one facility. It really needs to be expanded to many hospitals, increasing the number of scans and patient data it uses, expand to other disorders, etc. That’s a big initiative though. That is the sort of thing the NIH could spearhead, provided they had the budget for it.

@twinklestars anything humans can do AI can do a million times better.
Imagine a human with unlimited intelligence-or better still a machine with unlimited intelligence-
and that’s where we are headed.

Yes, it’s very promising. But we still have to set them to the task. I just don’t want to see this tool confined to one hospital and one disorder because we lack the organization and funding to make it available all over the world.