Researchers from Lancaster University have discovered that youngsters who watch films like Harry Potter improve their imagination and creativity

The small-scale study involved 52 four to six-year-old children. The youngsters were split into two groups and shown two 15-minute clips from Harry Potter And The Philosopher’s Stone.

Magical thinking enables children to create fantastic imaginary worlds, and in this way enhances children’s capacity to view the world and act upon it from multiple perspectives. The results suggested that books and videos about magic might serve to expand children’s imagination and help them to think more creatively.”

The researchers concluded that rather than just being used for entertainment, “magical thinking can be viewed as an additional source of development of imagination and divergent thinking in children.”

If we are being real I probably most resembled one of Draco Malfoy’s body guards the most growing up. Nothing much going on in the noggin. The first Potter book came out when I was in 6th grade and thought I was too old for it. Now I’m in my 30’s and will eventually read the books when I’m capable.

And some organizations say that reading the Harry Potter books is a form of practicing witchcraft.

“Expeliarmus!” (I think that’s one of the spell incantations.)

3 Likes

A lot of those same organizations also think some science is witchcraft.

1 Like

Honestly I think it’s great, I was exposed to a lot of fantasy as a kid, it was a great part of my childhood, and tempered the old noggin

1 Like

Makes sense. I think sci-fi shows are better.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.