Researcher says we should model our coming out as mentally ill after gays

I mean sober from drinking.

1 Like

ā€¦Amen to that

do you mean bisexual or bipolar? :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

i am proud of being dark sithā€¦
i walk down the main street of my small townā€¦dressed in black, my cape blowing in the breeze, my light saber at the readyā€¦!?! :imp:
take care :alien:

5 Likes

ā€œMom, dad, i have something to tell you. Im clinically insane.ā€

Doesnā€™t have the same ring to it.

2 Likes

@mortimermouse

My cousin is graduating with her masters this week. She did her thesis on stigma for people with Downā€™s Syndrome.

Do you have links from any papers this researcher has done? Iā€™d like to see them.

Iā€™ve come out to some people here. I feel like I should do it in person, so I can explain it to people. Louisiana is a very conservative (filled with idiots, look at Gov. Bobby Jindal), so they hate the fact that Iā€™m on ā€œtheirā€ SSDI/SSI. That is one reason why I keep it a secret. I will be back in school, so I wonā€™t live on it for the rest of my life.

I might come out, but it is harder when youā€™re not in psychology with intelligent and open minded people around you. Louisianaā€™s idea of ā€œcoolā€ is being uneducated, barefoot, and pregnant. We have a real brain drain problem.

I might move to Arkansas, because they accepted the medicaid expansion. Austin wouldnā€™t be bad either.

1 Like

Hello there,

Well, heā€™s written about 300 articles and over a dozen books so I canā€™t choose which ones not to recommend. I would look up books by him if you prefer easier reading (but still higher level material) than scientific articles. I mean the statistics and methods and terms used in articles are like gibberish to non psychology students. I understand statistics up to MANOVAā€™s and thatā€™s all I got.

Try one of his books- I sort of have to read his articles for my work, citing books is a no no at my school unless you are citing some hugely famous masterpiece that will never be replaced, like ā€œThe Nature of Prejudiceā€ by Gordon Allport or Sherifā€™s robbers cave experiment. Ok I done ā– ā– ā– ā– ā– ā–  up I also cited a book by a professor who is head of the honors program at my school. But thatā€™s just to kiss ass.

I try to be cautious about what I tell to whoā€¦ but I donā€™t have a very good filter.

But I guessā€¦ size up the situation your in and if you feel comfortable with someone and you have a guess that the other person would be understandingā€¦ go ahead and tell.

Itā€™s a little odd to me that I will tell some people quickly about my head circusā€¦ but I donā€™t tell people very often that Iā€™m open to both men and women. It doesnā€™t come up all that much.

My family hasnā€™t cared too much if Iā€™m dating a guy or a girlā€¦ their focus has been my mental health lifeā€¦ not my dating life.

I told a girl once that is a good friend that I have bipolar and psychosis and mention some symptoms that fall under sz , and she looked like she had seen a ghost and started tearing up. I told her I am still a personā€¦

1 Like

I think the BEST reaction I ever got was from my current bossā€¦ heā€™s a very cool guyā€¦ heā€™s just a very kind personā€¦ and after a while of working with himā€¦ I gave into the urge to tell himā€¦

I told himā€¦ ā€œI have to get this off my chestā€¦ Iā€™m schizophrenic.ā€
He paused a bitā€¦ and saidā€¦ ā€œI donā€™t really know what that means.ā€

Heā€™s still very understanding of my working style. Iā€™m learning his.

6 Likes

We should contact nami and have a logo contest to raise awareness to ā€œcome outā€. Iā€™m surprised this hasnā€™t been doneā€¦has it?
Have an internet campaign and commercialā€¦idk.

Iā€™d put a sticker on my car, bike, boardā€¦whatever.

Would be a good fundraiser.

2 Likes

duhhhh. I have no filter.

2 Likes

Does this mean I get to be fabulous ???

< strut >

10-96

8 Likes

Nami has a program called Peer to Peer.

I took the classes. Itā€™s I belive once a week for about 8 weeks. You get a certificate when done.

Itā€™s based on learning from each otherā€™s stories and gaining an ability to talk openly about our issues.

They really pushed this coming out thing, and felt we should do it even in the more hostile environments which I had a hard time grappling with.

I wouldnā€™t really say Iā€™m bisexual, I guess I was just brave enough to try it out. You only live once. Anyway, it was an experience in my life I can chalk off and say (Iā€™ve been there and tried nearly everything in life).

I donā€™t know if letting everyone know Iā€™m schizophrenic is a good or bad thing. Most of the time after people find out theyā€™re very condescending and donā€™t have too much confidence in you or generalize things by their own opinion instead of medical facts and evidence.

Still havenā€™t had a drink, have beer in the fridge leftover from two weeks ago and Iā€™ll probably just give it away or pour it down the sink. Pot is another thing, Iā€™ve really cut back and Iā€™m trying to get all my ducks in order right now. I have been thinking about ditching the newports but one thing at a time for me unless I blow up and go on some addiction spree from quitting everything at once. Thatā€™s the one thing Iā€™m a bit afraid of.

As long as I take this naltrexone I donā€™t crave alcohol as much and even if I drink I just wonā€™t feel anything because the receptors in my brain are blocked from getting that drunken feeling.

Iā€™m on almost a week of a low carb diet, and getting off carbs made me feel like ā– ā– ā– ā–  at first but my body is adjusting to the new diet now. I hate how they censor everything on this site sometimes.

1 Like

Iā€™ve been considering something similar. Today I told a new person I have a voice hearing experience and it felt great! D x

1 Like

Hello, I understand about feeling vulnerable to other people limited beliefs if you tell those in the work place. I have kept my own experience to myself too, which allows me to support homeless people with drug, alcohol and mental health issues. I have told a few people now, but only those who I consider to listen wisely. I donā€™t currently see myself being able to share it with my family as they are very afraid about such things and donā€™t have a wise outlook. I am certain there will come a time when these experiences are completely normalised. D x

1 Like

Huge congratulations on all that hard workā€¦ staying sober and cutting the pot. Itā€™s no easy task and I just wanted to say very cool that youā€™ve been working through it.

Good luckā€¦ Iā€™m rooting for you

1 Like

Mental illness will be the next civil rights group. It will take some years to happen-but it will.
I hope this means that there will be better treatments and treatment!
Dr. Paul Farmer has the right idea about doctors and medicine.
@mortimermouse congrats and I hope this works out for you! **

3 Likes

Therein lies a bit of a rub. Gay people are viewed as amusing, creative, non threatening and fabulous by the personas (real or put on) they portray. And eventually people viewed them more positively than negatively.

What sort of personas can we project to outshine the heavy negatives that are out there? To me the ideal of recovery is to appear half-way normal, so Iā€™m reluctant to adopt a sort of Stepin Fetchit routine just to appear non-threatening.