Repeating mantras audibly

I often repeat a set of phrases that are in place to keep voices in my head from giving my soul to things or other people without my consent, also to keep it from being trapped without help in places like closed cabinets or other containers.

I used to repeat these mantras audibly but they’ve largely been moved to occupy my headspace - I still fail to contain them sometimes and might benefit from some tips to keep myself quiet, or better yet solve the issue totally.

This started in middle school and it’s pretty well softwired into me by now.

A similar post to this was flagged for inappropriate content despite not breaching any of the terms of service; I would appreciate if people refocused on helping a sick person get better over flinging takedowns at ideas they don’t like. It’s an exceedingly immature abuse of the system.

I was in the middle of answering your other question when it got locked.

I used to say certain phrases out loud,

I thought it kept my soul from Satan.

It probably started around twelve years old, middle school like you.

Finally, I got some real help by seeing a therapist that did CBT and dropping my religion like it was hot.

I stopped all religious activity and the CBT really worked.

You can stop, it just takes work.

2 Likes

I mumble the Serenity Prayer a lot. I think it helps.

…keep me from getting charged with homicide.

4 Likes

I don’t want to abandon my religion, I do still believe
I’ll look into cbt therapy though, thank you for the response

You can believe and not have it control your life.

Just by taking a step back, you can make a big difference.

1 Like

Can rosary beads be used to do mantras?

my denomination doesn’t use rosary beads often, from what I know of their importance in catholicism, they’re for use in prayers based on specific scripture, an act known as ‘praying the rosary’. The mantras I’m talking about aren’t prayers, and aren’t healthy. I developed them on my own in response to voices I hear in my head trying to harm me severely

1 Like

@freepB

We don’t allow religious discussions on this site. This for a couple of reasons. First, it tends to cause arguments, because for some reason people can’t seem to just respect each other’s different religious beliefs. Second, many folks suffer from religious delusions. It is one of the top three topics of delusion, alongside aliens and government conspiracies. We don’t allow discussions on those topics, either. Third, there are many members here who were subjected to exorcisms by family members who, sadly, did not understand their illness. Those memories can be very traumatic for those individuals, and they don’t need to be reminded of them.

I hope you can understand, and help keep this a safe place for everyone. Thanks :slightly_smiling_face:

Volunteer Moderator,
Rogueone.

1 Like

Goldenrex had very similar problems, became an atheist, and was completely civil about our difference of beliefs. If people join support groups to discuss common problems, and these topics are illegal, then why join the forums at all? Why not implement tags like ‘religion’ or ‘extra terrestrials’ so users can filter subjects they find agitating, without barring support to others harboring alien or devil-related paranoias?

I don’t plan on mentioning the mere existence of religion again on the site, don’t worry; I’ll just post harmless threads like this
and leave my schizophrenia-related issues burning a hole in my brain where they belong.

I’m sure I’ve wasted time by reaching out to a support site in the first place, this just seems to be the norm.

You just have to be careful about the way you word things around here, man.

Specifically when dealing with religion because it triggers a lot of people.

Don’t leave the forum,

Just be careful with what you say and how you say it.

1 Like

Voices have offered me
the greatest mantra:
“khordagón plimírti sanáua”

What does that mean, Om?

We DO allow religious discussion when it is in a recovery context. We just don’t allow preaching and the like. If you are having issues and need help resolving those, then it is completely fine to discuss.

1 Like

I think it related to Tourette’s syndrome. Just a casual layman’s observation. Here is the topic I started on it Severe vocal outbursts

+++ Also personally prayers only make my positive symptomes worse. Usually I just start shaking after specific points. There are also visions however. Ultimately it fuels my delusions even when I think that I already got rid of them.

My mother has something similar too, except much, much more severe She chants prayers in two different religions, plus her own mantra that “came to her spontaneously” as she puts it. She also says that it is “the strongest one”.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.