Renarkable recovery in woman after 30 years of illness

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/m/pubmed/29898284

"At age 48, while participating in a double-blind, 6-month clinical trial of long-acting injectable risperidone (Consta®, 100 mg IM biweekly) for treatment-resistant schizophrenia, at week 23, upon awakening, complete disappearance of psychosis and marked improvement in function was noted, which persisted until the present (approximately 7 years). "

1 Like

It seems like a bit of a stretch to attribute this to the AP injection, although I guess it is possible that it somehow cured her.

1 Like

Yeah they don’t attribute it all to the medication, but it may be partly involved.

“…unique endogenous genetic and epigenetic factors and effect of medication.”

1 Like

It is interesting to note that her psychotic symptoms did not subside til after 23 weeks, but her cognitive symptoms improved at week 6.

IMO it sounds more like spontaneous remission. The meds might have contributed by triggering the process, but I doubt they caused the remission. She must have been on several APs before, including Risperidone in pill form. It just doesn’t sound very plausible that somehow an AP injection cured her.

2 Likes

Why that woman sounds like me! Only I’m on 37.5 mg of Risperdal Consta biweekly. I’ve been on it for ten years. But, wasn’t recovered until Seroquel 200 mg at night was added. I was already on Geodon 240 mg.

1 Like

Yes… but… if it was me and I’d been in remission for 7 years after 30 years of illness, I’d sure as hell keep taking that med.

2 Likes

wow shes lucky, well not really but its good she recovered.

2 Likes

I suffered from severe sza symptoms for 33 years. I’ve been in remission for the last two years.

2 Likes