Relapses - Tips for coping?

Hi guys, I’ve had sz for 7 years now, I’m coping much better with limited caffeine, exercise and better personal hygiene. But as I’ve got my life back together I feel I’m going to relapse in the next couple months, I usually relapse every two years in winter. Theres been a couple of things that remind me of the lead up to my last relapse. Anyone got any tips? This will be my first relapse where I’m employed and can’t avoid people, I also have a friends wedding…

Do you take meds and/or do CBT? They can be hugely helpful.

I’m on 6mg Invega, during my last relapse I upped the dose to 9mg, my GP advised. I’ve never done CBT. To be honest, haven’t really seen a doctor since my diagnosis, will book an appointment on Monday. Has CBT worked for you?

Think it’s better to call in sick than do something that they could fire you for. I also had to take no phone calls from work for a while. As much as they wanted to talk to me . My wife just told them I needed to be away from work, because of stress. I really would have gave them an ear full. Also don’t wait so long like I did and call your boss up at 12am and bitch them out for stressing you out. Take care of getting away from work before you end up burning bridges.

2 Likes

I’ve got 3 weeks off from Xmas eve thankfully. I work in retail, but as a cashier, if I do relapse before my holidays I’ll try and get moved to stacking shelves.

CBT didn’t work for me, but lots of people here say it’s amazing. I was using it to treat OCD, though, not schizophrenia. That could be why I had a bad time. Everyone here who does it loves it. And yeah, calling in sick is better than getting fired for acting weird. If you’ve been employed full time for a year, you are legally entitled to three months of unpaid leave and they have to hold your job for you.

Have you ever used bipolar as an excuse? More socially acceptable illness.

You don’t have to tell them why. They are not legally allowed to ask. Just say you have a health condition. Your doctor can write you a note if needed.

1 Like

Cheers dude. Need to get on here more, speak to others with sz.

1 Like

You should, of course, try to work as long as you are able. But if it gets bad like you think it might, it’s good to know your options. Does your work offer short term disability?

Haven’t checked / asked

Lots of places offer 66% of your pay for three months. Anything beyond that, and you would need to go through social security.

Will speak to doc next week, I’m sure he/she will have experience. Your American? Not sure if British law / workers rights are the same.

They even had the nerve to ask me what meds I was on. Of coarse I told them it was none of there business. I used words they can relate to like , can’t concentrate and stress. Don’t know how think I made them fill guilty about work load, they gave me a 12% raise to get me to come back to work 2 1/2 months later.lol if they only knew.

3 Likes

Have you heard of WRAP?
It’s a model from the recovery model of mental health treatment

Basically, you list how you are when you’re healthy, when you’re spiraling down (early warning signs), and when you’re in crisis. You make a “plan” for each stage when you’re relapsing.

There’s a pre-relapse plan, a crisis plan, and a post-crisis plan. In a nutshell, it’s a list of triggers, warning signs, and resources out in the community (i.e. therapist contact info, crisis hotline numbers, etc…) that you can keep with you at all times. I met a few people in this intense outpatient program that had whole binders full with their medical relapse prevention WRAP stuff! It’s supposed to help you cope by making you identify coping stuff that works specifically for you and you’re supposed to have like a binder with everything in there so you can track your mental states.

Here’s a longer video on that WRAP model:

PS WRAP stands for wellness recovery action plan

Working starts a whole new cycle. So you just forget about the past. Congratulate yourself on job.
Relax you did good so you don’t have to repeat the past. It’s over— history.

1 Like