Schizophrenia.com

Rejected by Bryn Mawr

I had applied to Bryn Mawr College. One of the professors there said about my illness that “you have to tell them.” So I wrote in my application essays that I had been diagnosed with schizophrenia. Now that I have been rejected by them, I know better. I am not revealing my diagnosis to any graduate schools. I will tell them about the depression that I struggled with for so long, because there is less stigma attached to that.

So now, I will continue on in my no-name brand college–West Chester University. Hopefully, if I get good enough grades, I will be able to get into a good graduate school.

1 Like

You’ll never know why they denied you. It may simply have been that they already filled all their slots.

1 Like

I don’t think it’s required that you tell then anything - Yes stigma exists, even among the most educated

1 Like

Who knows why they didn’t accept you - it could be for any of a number of reasons.

I wonder what other people’s experiences have been - do they tell their schools about the issue during admissions or after?

It would be interesting to hear from a person actually working in the admissions office of a school.

I wish to be open about my disease, but the truth is most people will label/judge even if they don’t realize it.

When a person hears that another has sz, they are automatically unable to know them without that label attached.

1 Like

you are already a star no matter what college you go to.
take care

6 Likes

i wouldn’t tell them anything…they don’t need to know…but this is just how my thinking is…best of luck to you…

1 Like

Actually, it was 77nick77 who told me about the students with disabilities office in most colleges. So I went there and told them about myself and I was suddenly eligible for extra tutoring, having notes e-mailed to me, and a host of other services and having some of the lab fees waived. So it saved me some money too.

They say they keep their information confidential. So far I’ve seen nothing that says they don’t.

good luck with college. People will sometimes get turned down if the college has too many applying for a specific program. I’d say, if you want to go to this college, talk to a college admission’s person. Then you will get a more comprehensive answer. It could be a host of stuff. But they can’t keep you out.

My cousin got turned down for UCLA medical, so she went into UCLA for drama, but took only one drama class, the rest was biology. Then when the grades were up, she transfered over to UCLA medical. So she snuck in through a different program.

4 Likes

Thank you all for your responses. They had told me that being poor counts against you, because they pay all but $2,000 of your tuition expenses, and if you’re poor and can’t contribute anything, they’re more likely to take someone who can pay some or all of the $41,000 bill per year. So this could be another contributing factor. I was accepted into Drexel University. I only told them about my depression. They were way too expensive for me to actually go there, I found out after I was accepted. I’m still not going to tell anyone about my illness until I get accepted from now on.

1 Like

Finances could have been the reason, possibly. I wouldn’t tell a school or an employer about any diagnoses at all. That’s something that you might tell some people there AFTER you are already in for awhile and doing well.
You definitely have that 4.0 going for you so you just have to overcome the finance part, and like you said, not tell them about SZ.

1 Like

Congratulations on having the guts! I wanted to go to go there or Smith, but my parents pretty much forced me to go to the sucky school I’m at now. I could have transferred out but I had fallen in love with C.
An interesting idea would be to write about your sz in one of your essays. You just might inform and impress someone. With all that competition it might make you stand out.