Rehabilitation for adults with complex psychosis (UK)

In this guideline, ‘complex psychosis’ refers to a primary diagnosis of a psychotic illness (this includes schizophrenia, bipolar affective disorder, psychotic depression, delusional disorders and schizoaffective disorder) with severe and treatment-resistant symptoms of psychosis and functional impairment.

People with complex psychosis usually also have 1 or more of the following:

• cognitive impairments associated with their psychosis
  • coexisting mental health conditions (including substance misuse)
  • pre-existing neurodevelopmental disorders, such as autism spectrum disorder or attention deficit hyperactivity disorder
  • physical health problems, such as diabetes, cardiovascular disease or pulmonary conditions.

My old pdoc used the NICE guidelines to fight for treatment for me from psychology, as they were not interested.

He did me a massive favour doing that for me, and he told me he did this.

I really like this doctor. I knew him for 16 years

Miss him so much, but his replacement seems ok, but not met face to face yet.

I would qualify for Rehab on those terms, but I seriously doubt the ability of the NHS trust where I live to fulfil this guidance

I think if I was treatment resistant I would, as I have ASD. The failure of mental health services in Essex to acknowledge the Asperger’s, from 1992-2017, resulting in substandard treatment.

I think meds have worked enough to say I’m not tx resistant, but also there hasn’t been a full or near full recovery.