Recovery rate of schizophrenia

How long did it take you to admit you were different?

I never wanted to admit that, I told all my family I’m just like everyone else.

I think once your’e diagnosed your’e defeated, but what can you do but accept.

I guess there’s no going back. I think it’s permanent now.

1 Like

Are you on medication?

What ap? 8675309

This mindset will help you with nothing! Accepting just for the sake of accepting is idiotic. Stop victim mentality and negative patterns! Don’t push other people down with your negative comments. Do something for yourself, even if it’s just brushing your teeth before going to bed. And, please, change this mindset. You’ll get nothing with it.

1 Like

I’ve learned through the illness to be more simple,

and not dream big like I used before the diagnosis.

The idea is to know yourself, know what you can and can’t do.

1 Like

Yeah both my brother and father think I can use willpower to combat my disorder.
This frustrates me even more.

4 Likes

The idea of knowing yourself is wonderful! But still dream big. One example: I thought I would never be able to exercise everyday for more than 15 days. Now I’m on day 29. I’m losing weight, my sciatica is getting better and I feel more alive.

I thought right after this diagnosis I would never have sex again (because I thought I was a schizophrenic piece of crap that no girl would want to engage). I still can have sex. There are girls who say I’m an interesting guy (it’s still hard for me to believe it).

Dream big! You have a lot of potential! You all!

@Wave, willpower still plays a gigantic role on my recovery. If I had no willpower, I would be weghting more than 90 kg, my teeth would be rotten and I would be smelling really bad. But I don’t think just willpower will solve your life. Each case is a unique case though.

1 Like

I might be in remission, but haven’t functionally or socially recovered yet. I’m trying to go back to school next spring. My symptoms are minimal. My doctor doesn’t think schizophrenic people recover. Some might be misdiagnosed. He’s telling me I am bipolar now, not schizophrenic. I feel still disabled. I take supplements for negative symptoms.

I’ve accomplished a lot in my life

I guess I just meant money and a good high paying job.

good luck in the relationships, it really helps to have a steady in your life.

I’ll never be “recovered.” I’m on a journey with no endpoint. We can get all serious searching for a definition of “recovery;” creating a heterogeneous smorgasbord of indices in search of a holy grail.

My day of recovery starts simple: I wake up, reach for my mirror, put it in front of my mouth, blow on it, and if I see condensation my day is off to a good start. If not, not too good.

Seriously, I just try to be happy and not hurt anyone in the process.

2 Likes

I’m sorry but I can’t just will my symptoms away.

2 Likes

Will power can help with some things, but will power, per se, is not going to make debilitating mental illnesses such as sz/sza simply go away. It’s analogous to the false belief that if one just “pulls themselves up by their bootstraps” the disorder will go away. I find the belief to be offensive and shaming.

Like I said, will power can help with some things, but not everything. Try stopping diarrhea with will power.

2 Likes

For my first two years of this disease I was totally lost, I was delusional 100% of the time. My mom says when I talk to her about it that she thought I was lost forever. Then all the delusions stopped when I got it through my head that it’s a disease.

The first year I was at Poplar springs hospital, I was shouting out inappropriate things and kept curling my fingers and muttering, and I grabbed myself a lot.

A year later I was there again and all I did the whole time was politely ask to leave, or for updates on my discharge. I didn’t act out at all.

I’m a lot better now than I was then. I’ve had symptoms for 4 years, 2 where I was out of my mind and the last 2 where I’m in recovery and trying to find the right meds with doctors’ assistance.

I think I’m a good example of partial recovery from the disorder. I could have spent a lifetime in delusion, as some seem to do. If I keep getting better, maybe I can be high functioning in a couple years. No matter how bad this disease gets, the worst is behind me and it still feels like I’m getting over the initial onset and the episodes that went with it. Nothing as bad as those days has happened to me since.

2 Likes

I wish I could stop this alogia and abolition with willpower

A lot of Americans believe in “You can do anything if you really want to” . It’s faulty,unintelligent thinking. Sure some things you can improve at to be quite proficient at . However with other things no amount of wishing and wanting will make you proficient because you lack the aptitude for it.

1 Like

I am on latuda, cipralex, trazodone. Also take green tea, rhodiola, ginseng for my brain. You might not want to do ginseng though cause some people say it causes psychosis. Everyone is different. There is no point asking me what ap I am on. The key is finding a good doctor. I had a shitty one before and found my current one and it’s how I got my feet back together.

That’s the difference between a fixed mindset and a growth mindset. I believe that I can accomplish a lot of things and used to believe in pulling oneself up from their bootstraps but having a severe disability changes all that. You have to put in the work and effort. You may not be number one in the world, but you can definitely be good if not great at something.

Maybe it is an American thing.

1 Like

@DelusionalSoldier honestly, “recovery” is not a good definition.
Because this disease does some damage to many patients already from early childhood.

Not at all. It’s about being realistic and realising that not everything is achievable on account of a lack of latent ability for it.

If you have no building blocks to start with you can’t build a house no matter how hard you might try.

Too much horse ■■■■ on this topic.
Thank you for those who helped me.