Recently Diagnosed and Lonely, Wondering if this is a disability

I"m curious, who is the author? There are several books with the same title.

Hi Kay. I just joined this forum recently as well.
Have you seen this ted talk by Eleanor Longden?

I haven’t. I’ll check it out though.

1 Like

I’ve been really inspired by it. Let me know what you think.
You might also check out “crazywise” on google and utube. The full movie isn’t available anymore, but there is a trailer, and a ted talk by Phil Borges who created the movie.

Wow, it was really good. Thank you for that. And thank you for suggesting crazywise as well. I will also check that out.

So were you recently diagnosed?

No problem. I cried when I watched it :slight_smile:
Let me know if you need more resources. There is also a really cool ted talk by someone who has schizophrenia, called “I am not a monster.”

I’ve been diagnosed with anxiety, PTSD and schizoid personality a few years ago. Not sure I have schizophrenia. I found this forum, b/c I was trying to understand if I have it or not, so I wanted to read about others’ experiences. If you’d like, we can talk more through private message.

I got through 1 semester of civil engineering. I loved it. Wish I could have finished the course.

2 Likes

Great.
but I don’t like it. its a tough branch of engineering.
in work you have to deal with stupid workers full of negativity and at least that is what in Iran.
it’s a dirty job. always in the mud. you have to climb the unfinished buildings and always there is the danger of falling down.
you didn’t miss anything.

2 Likes

Thanks for telling me.

2 Likes

2 Likes

:+1::+1::smile::joy:

e. fuller torrey

@kaydellaterra

Hello welcome to the forum!! I’d thought I share some of my experiences with Schizophrenia and how much I have improved.

First - You need to have structure in your life which will help you a lot to get things going. Even though you have been stable, your symptoms are still there which takes time to go away. You have to keep in mind that there are positive, negative, and cognitive effects because of the illness so be mindful of that.

Second - Start to read, research and investigate everything about this illness, medication, side effects, dosages, supplements etc so you can be empowered and so can stay active towards working on your recovery. The more you know the better it will help you.

Third - You have to stay very patient because things will not happen overnight but make sure you are doing the little things like excercising if you can, maintaining your hygiene, watching your diet, keeping your room organised and clean etc.

Fourth - Try to find a small job if you can because even though it won’t be easy and you have to humble yourself down try to push yourself even part-time if you can. I was a chemistry major and 5 classes from graduating was planning to do either pharmacy or pre-med but after I came to terms with all this I’m working as a cashier full time. It’s not a lot of pay but it helps me with something to do and it’s easy. The more idle you stay the more your mind will start racing so I’ve learned to stay active and busy myself with listening to podcasts, watching tv shows, anime, movies and try to read books.

Fifth - make sure you are taking your medications and don’t try to go off them because you will relapse and it will be harder to come back from that and the process will take longer and the symptoms will be a lot worse.

Sixth - Try to get on disability and food stamps and it will help you tremendously. You might get denied the first time but keep trying or you can try hiring a lawyer and it will help you even more on getting approved.

That’s all I can think of right now but hang in there, keep fighting, and you’ll be on your way. Good luck!!

1 Like

Thank you for all of that. I appreciate it. I’m sorry to hear that you weren’t able to finish school. I think I’m going to be building these things called radomes soon and probably substitute teaching. Right now I’m not really having any symptoms, but they were bad, so I hope that I’ll be staying stable. Trust me, I’m going to be staying on meds.

1 Like

Hey, welcome to the forum. I’m also new here. I have a bachelor of nursing science. It’s very cool you have an electrical engineering degree. The voices should lessen with medication. My personal experience is that my voices have definitely lessened with medication - i only hear them now and then as breakthrough episodes. I used to be on olanzapine too but it made me gain weight so i stopped it. Hopefully your new medication will work better for you.

1 Like

I apologize, I didn’t read all the replies in this thread.

But I just thought I’d say, Welcome to the forum!

:v:.

• Monte
1 Like

Thank you so much, I will look it up.

Hey Moshtaba and Kaydellaterra I have a BS in Mechanical Engineering and engjoy mathematics and science as well. Currently im on a league of Absence and will try to continue working after my medication gets all sorted out.

1 Like

Zombie thread.