Recently Diagnosed and Lonely, Wondering if this is a disability

It might take a few weeks to fully kick in and sometime you need a med adjustment or need to find a med that works better for you and yes for me the longer I have been on them the more stable I am

Done! :slight_smile:

I used to feel that way until someone tried to damage me IRL by using my participation here.

To answer your original question, SZ can be disabling, but a significant amount of recovery is possible especially given your age, your obvious abiliities, and the fact that you’re receiving early treatment. Your prognosis is quite likely excellent.

Welcome to the community.

:blush:

Yes. That’s something to ask your doctor because I don’t know the exact numbers. Vraylar took me a week or two to feel a little better but it was months for me to feel stabilized and get the full effect.

An interesting fact is women tend to have an easier time (overall) dealing with schizophrenia than men. Like their symptoms are less and they tend to be higher functioning/recover better. I’ve seen anecdotal evidence of this and read about it.

Have you read Surviving Schizophrenia?

Also, be vigilant about side effects from medication like weight gain.

That’s hard to answer, it’s like that question, “how long should a person’s legs be?” (Long enough to reach the ground!) Some people are treatement resistant and need to stick with a med for longer before they start to see a change. The difference between turning a sailing sloop and an oil tanker, as it were.

Yes and no. A med can work better for you as you adjust to it, but years in, can also lose effectiveness. Don’t be suprised by the need to change meds periodically over the years – it just happens to some of us.

Wow, that was a really nice reply. Thank you for your response @pixel, I surely appreciate it. It’s just I don’t know what to do in the meantime, hearing voices, being back in my parents’ house, with my creative tank on E… it’s also a lot to go from Boulder to cornfield-land, with your old friends having moved elsewhere (as you did). I don’t mean to complain, but life is hard right now. I don’t even really feel like or enjoy watching TV :neutral_face:

Also look into getting benefits. You might need them.

Life with SZ can make it hard to do things and stay interested and focused, don’t worry about complaining, thats what the forum is for

I have not read that book yet, but I’ll look into that as I feel that I can focus on reading! I was only just diagnosed less that two months ago…

As for me having an easier time as a woman, I’d argue that that may well not be the case for me, as I studied electrical engineering (a male-dominated field), and my psychotic episodes are extraordinarily creative and complicated. My subconscious mind appears to be quite busy indeed. And I hear the most fantastic things in music. Like I hear all of my thoughts in more “resonant” music, like the Interstellar soundtrack and a lot of my thoughts in Hurry Up, We’re Dreaming by M83. It is literally as if I can mess with music with my mind, which I know I cannot, but I cannot make it stop nor can I stop the voices from leaking in there to “talk” to me…

I have. My doctor is under the impression that I would be better off working, but on days like this last Fri-Sun, I wouldn’t be able to work. So I’m hesitant until I know I am stable, although I am dreadfully bored and want to contribute to society and whatnot. I have applied for Medicaid already though.

I am lucky as I work for myself in a industry I can take time off if need be, over the years I would have been fired from most jobs, I’m sure once you have the sz sorted out you will be able to do some sort of work

That’s cool you have an electrical engineering degree. Hopefully you can find the right treatment to quiet your voices!

What works for me is Paliperidone 6 mg and no-flush Niacin 1 gram 3x a day. My voices are muffled with the first and muted with the second.

It’s a disability for some but not all. Hopefully you find a med that stops the voices. Then you just have to take it faithfully. I know the loneliness that comes with schizophrenia. It feels like no one will ever understand. And I also feel ashamed and humiliated by it so I feel that much more lonely. Feel free to private message me anytime.

@kaydellaterra Welcome to the forum, Kaylyn. I have to say it can be quite boring/depressing when you suddenly find yourself with a lot of time on your hands due to your disability. With time this becomes easier and easier, you just have to find a way to keep as busy as possible. There’s TV, there’s this forum, there’s books from the library, there’s writing and drawing, maybe you could for a walk or exercise somehow. I think this is actually one of the best eras to be SZ and homebound, mainly due to how much stuff there is to do on the internet. And I imagine there’s an antipsychotic out there that will work for the voices.

hey kay, welcome to the forum, sorry about your diagnosis but it gets better once its under control you can live a better life.

It gets better! I was considered a nearly hopeless case back in 1992. Was told to not count on things I’d never have like a career, education, wife, kids, etc. The best I could hope for would be a managed living situation with my discomfort alleviated by excessive medication.

It’s a quarter century later and I’m doing very well. Educated, career, married, father, fun hobbies, pleasant lifestyle. I appear “normal” to most who don’t know me well.

Here’s how I got from where I was to where I am now:

1. Take meds as prescribed, even when you hate them. If you hate them, be open about them to your docs, they’ll work with you to make things better over time.
  2. Be honest with your treatment providers, hide nothing. They can’t help fix what they don’t know about.
  3. Build a support network as best you can and don’t be afraid to use it.
  4. Keep a positive, recovery-centric mindset. Don’t get lost in negative thinking or your entire world will eventually start to mirror how you think.
  5. Take advantage of whatever therapy is available to you.
  6. Do therapy workbooks that help with stress, anxiety, etc.
  7. Keep a recovery journal.
  8. Push yourself as much as you can in the day you’re in. Most of what has been lost can be regained, but it takes time and oh-so-much effort. Don’t stop reading, interacting, making plans, trying things.
  9. Don’t quit. Quitters never win.

Good luck.

Schizophrenia is definitely a disability. I’ve filled out three job applications and two of the three asked if I had a disability. They both gave three answers of yes no and prefer not to say. Of the disabilities listed on both of them both of them contained schizophrenia. You can also get on SSdi for disability for it too because yes it is a disability. I definitely just said prefer not to say on both

Thanks.

Huh, thanks, I will try the niacin maybe… seems like 3 g of niacin is a lot of niacin though. Does anybody else on here have an opinion about niacin?

This was so helpful to read last night. I couldn’t reply until just now, because I am a new user. I’ve been investing a lot of energy into hope for the future, but the voices are so loud and it’s as if nothing helps. I have been doing art, watching tv, reading books, and even exercising regularly, but nothing seems to be working. And yes, I’m taking my meds like I am supposed to.

@pixel gave good advices