Reassigned to a new doctor

I called to schedule my usual appointment with my psyhiatrist, who I’ve been seeing for over four years, and the receptionist told me I’ve been reassigned! Because she took another position and now only sees patients one day a week! But, they haven’t assigned me to anybody else, yet, so they’re going to have to find someone and then call me back.

Im really frustrated. They always only prescribe me three months worth of medication at a time. I’m not allowed to call and schedule an appointment until two weeks before I run out, because of the way their scheduling software works. So I only have two weeks worth of meds, and now I don’t even have an assigned doctor! I should have been told at my last appointment this was going to happen. I should have been assigned to a new doctor already!

I go to the public clinic, because it’s cheap and they do a good job at the actual treatment part. The group therapy programs are amazing, and the staff all really care about the patients. Nobody is in it for the money. But the downside is that they’re frequently overbooked, understaffed, and disorganized. I have to really keep on top of these guys.

3 Likes

That sounds really frustrating for you! Hopefully they’ll sort it out soon.

2 Likes

You need to make them fully aware that you only have two weeks left of your meds. Call once a day or so and make sure that you don’t get lost in their system.
I find it weird that the doctor didn’t even contact you to tell you that they were unable to see you anymore. Most doctors would make sure you had enough meds to last until you get with a new doctor.
Hang in there.

3 Likes

I told the receptionist, and I’ll definitely call every day to check up on them.

2 Likes

I’m looking for a new psychiatrist (or pdoc), because my pharmacy can’t fill my Haldol prescription due to the U.S. Haldol tablet shortage, and my current psychiatrist won’t see me until December 6th.

The psychiatric industry as a whole doesn’t seem to account for the fact that when we don’t have a big supply of medication, it is an emergency. An “I might go crazy if I don’t have enough of a supply to cross taper if prescribed” type of emergency. They seem to just default to: Oh, we aren’t here for emergencies. If you have and emergency, dial 911.

It’s nuts. I think I’ll start a thread asking for advice on finding a new psychiatrist. I started calling around, but everyone seems booked up. Too many crazy people, not enough psychiatrists, it seems.

Edit:
Here is my new thread in which I seek advice on finding a new psychiatrist:

2 Likes

How frustrating and a shock too I’d imagine. Hope you get a new doctor soon and make sure you keep on top of your meds. Like you said, chase them everyday!

3 Likes

I talked to my favorite receptionist today, and he managed to get me in with a new doctor! I have my appointment scheduled in time. Everything is good.

8 Likes

Glad you got it all worked out @Ninjastar!

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.