Readjusting to life in America

Yup, I’ve been back 5 months and still in culture shock. I had a lot of freedom and a lot of free time living by myself in Thailand now I’m back with the parental units and figuring out how the hell I’m gonna make a living. Had a job at FedEx for 6 weeks but it didn’t work out. I got wicked tired one night after 6 hours moving packages, felt like I was gonna pass out, and told management I needed a break. They told me “We don’t have breaks here”. I quit on the spot. It certainly is all about the benjamins here!

Before I went to Asia 9 years ago I was getting disability and my rent was being subsidized. How do ya’ll manage financially?

3 Likes

Also report that to the labor board. You are entitled to a paid 15 minute and unpaid 30 minute break for 6 hours.

1 Like

Sorry your job didn’t work out, at least you tried to work! I can’t work, so I’m on disability and live with my folks. I pay “rent”, and some other bills, but other than that, I’m on my own.

2 Likes

If you quit due to a violation of labor laws you can still file for unemployment

2 Likes

I contacted the labor department and they said there are basically no break laws in my state. It’s messed up because friends and family who I talked to all thought there were :sob:

1 Like

:grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

2 Likes

Not having to work a low-end job in the US is one of the many things I’m thankful for.

3 Likes

That’s insane. Can’t believe state law allows that. Also shocking FEDEX would treat workers that way.

4 Likes

Wow I’m sorry. I had no idea that was a state law and not a federal one.

1 Like

Yes FedEx treats its workers very bad. It was supposed to be part time, I could understand doing a 4 hour shift without a break. But these were the busy weeks before Christmas. I worked 8 hours standing in a tower with only 1 pee break for 5 minutes. Then after the third day of this, I was lifting HEAVY packages for 6 hours and the boss wanted me to rush to do another job that I had never done. I started to feel lightheaded like I might collapse. My coworker said I looked pale and I felt like I might even need to go to the hospital. Then I said I needed a break and they said “I’m sorry to say but we don’t have breaks here”. I quit on the spot and made it home very shaken up. I mean this is dangerous and a lot of people get hurt in FedEx factories. By the way, they treat the packages like crap, doesn’t matter if it has a fragile sticker on it or whatever…

I’m sorry you had such a bad experience in our country.

I hope you get those Benjamin’s.

Recovering doesn’t happen overnight

I think there making a sequel to that movie

I get disability benefits (in Belgium) and I’m applying for some jobs. That FedEx job sounded crappy, you’re better off without it. You can find a better place where they treat people right!

1 Like

They did. Not recommended.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.