Reading difficulties & College

Am I mentally challenged if I have trouble reading fast and sometimes the words feel jumbled? Like I’ve tripped over every other word or sentence. Another question is. Will my college let me take remedial classes if I tell them I have sza?

1 Like

Not saying you are but…

http://www.yalescientific.org/2011/04/the-paradox-of-dyslexia-slow-reading-fast-thinking/

1 Like

Sometimes I use a ruler to help keep my place in blocks of text. Also if you can highlight the books you have you can use them to mark where you are on the page. Maybe it could help you?

As for telling your school if you tell them they may be able to set up accommodations for you that might make it easier to succeed.

1 Like

I will definitely do this. I don’t know what happened to me. I used to be great at reading and writing. So frustrating… sigh.

1 Like

http://data.qz.com/2016/dyslexia/

1 Like

I used to be a really good reader too. But now I find it hard to read blocks of text. It makes me sad sometimes. But those things I suggested help me a bit.
Also with highlighters if you can you can take 2 colors and alternate them for each line. That can help too.

Oh and if you have problems writing try using a larger font and certain fonts like comic sans are easier to read if you need to type something up.

1 Like
1 Like

That sounds great thanks! I’m gonna try. :hugs: I’ve got just the colors. I always tend to use the blue hues. They always help with my memory.

1 Like

Fascinating! Thank you! This explains a lot.

Definitely reach out to your disability resource center at your college. Set up an appointment and they’ll tell you any options you have. I think it is mandatory that if you have a documented disability that they give you some leeway/options. Like me for example, my school has a 13 credit policy, I take just 9 credits and am allowed to pay per credit. This provision has made my learning exponentially easier.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.