Reading ability severely impaired by schizophrenia

7 Likes

Not everyone. A friend of mine with sz is an avid reader and he has read 100+ books over a year. He’s a history major and even has his own reading youtube channel.

3 Likes

Happened for me. I used to be able to read for hours but now I’m lucky to manage fifteen minutes.

2 Likes

I remember being an elementary school child who read perfectly but one day I started making mistakes while reading. I haven’t been able to read out loud without making mistakes in every sentence ever again.
And now, years later, when I read, out loud or silently, I skip words and cannot make out the meaning of what I read.

1 Like

It changes for me. Im a slow reader. I comprehend less. But still read.

2 Likes

I seem to remember there being past research posted here several years ago that said similar things. @everhopeful thanks for posting this.

2 Likes

I have problems reading. Can’t seem to focus or pay attention.

2 Likes

My reading ability is really bad but I think its mostly due to bad working memory and bad concentration. My pdr told me that sz can cause memory and concentration issues.

I can read this forum fine except for long posts but I cant read books at all.

1 Like

Sometimes I think I have sz induced ADHD but adhd meds can worsen psychosis :slightly_frowning_face:

1 Like

My problem is more to do with knowing I’m missing something when reading, rather than any difficulty with reading . That’s because of the aphantasia. It didn’t matter when I thought no one could visualise characters and scenes, but now it matters very much.

3 Likes