Reactions to coming out as having psychosis?

When people find out you have psychosis what are some reactions people give? best? Worst? How would you like people to react?

Thanks @anon94176359 for the thread Idea

5 Likes

My mom asked me when I was going to kill her. Other people avoided me. I don’t tell anybody now.

3 Likes

Best: My fiancée, it didn’t phase her, she accepted me for me.

Her brother was good too. He just said “that’s cool” and kept talking about his video game.

Worst: Straight up Laughed at, and being asked why I thought that. Or being flat out shut down and outcast from their lives. Both of those were family members.

What I’d like: Talk to me about it, ask questions, get to know me for me symptoms and all, and accept me for me.

3 Likes

I always get shock. People always tell me they would never have guessed. I tell them that’s how it is. We aren’t dangerous or raving.

3 Likes

My closest friends and family were just sad for me really

2 Likes

Mmm I’ve gotten that once before “Name, you aren’t violent”

Lol like no kidding.

1 Like

My last one said I didnt carve crosses or set stuff on fire.

i don’t know what kind of people she’s met

2 Likes

Another good one was my Mother in law.

Her best friend was married to one of us who didn’t get help. All the classic signs. May he of found peace.

I talked to both of them at once, and described my angels and crowd picking on me, the confusion.

They asked questions openly and honestly, didn’t judge, and have never treated me differently since.

That was good

2 Likes

Most everyone says okay, that’s fine, until they see me in crisis. Then, everything changes for them. The police didn’t take me very seriously because of MI. That pisses me off.

1 Like

I guess I haven’t really told too many people. But the ones I’ve told seem to take it in stride and go right on with the conversation. Then if I’m acting weird they ask me if I’ve taken my medicine. Which is sort of funny because usually I would have forgotten to take it that day and it shows. The real weird reactions are from medical professionals. They always treat me with kid’s gloves when they find out my diagnosis. And sometimes I feel my physical complaints aren’t taken as seriously because I’m mentally ill.

1 Like

Best: (My friends) I still love you, and I will accept you for the way you are.
My friends even brought me to the hospital when I was having a psychotic episode.
Worst: Got yelled at the car after I disclosed my sz to my therapist (which is completely fine) and she was really upset with me because she didn’t want anyone to know that I had a shameful illness.

Worst - I told a friend & she initially offered sms support & understanding, saying she knew how hard it could be (I’m guessing she was referring to her own, very low level anxiety or depression as this always turns out to be the case with friends). She asked do I want to catch up for support (face to face), I replied yes & when. Then she ghosted me. Nothing. Later, I saw her in a group with other friends, she just acted really weird & wouldn’t make eye contact.

Best - “Phoebe, I would never have guessed 'cos you’re so articulate! You pass under the radar. I’m sure there’s lots of therapy that can give you abundance in life instead of just surviving.”

What I’d like - sit with me & my crazy, validate my feelings, that’s all. Accept me as I am. Don’t leap to a solutions frenzy of practical ways to improve my mental health & quality of life…solutions that sound awful nice to you but aren’t realistic for me and that, by the way, I’ve already done to death & spent thousands of dollars trying to perfect.

1 Like

They try’n act normal at first then they ask careful question.

Worst: “Hey, do you want to kill me? Do you like Insane Clown Posse?” starts playing a song by them on their phone and puts it up against my ear

Best: “omg, you’ve been psychotic? I never would have guessed - you seem so put together!” And then the subject was dropped and we went on with our lives in blissful harmony.

1 Like

My mum refuses to accept my diagnosis despite me telling her of some symptoms I’ve had and over 7 psychiatrist diagnosing me.

She’s thinks I have Aspergers And nothing else and I can not talk to her about it.its tabu.forbidden topic.

My former stepmom is amazing.she said I was tortured and understands I suffered and is proud of me for what I do unlike my mum who wants me to work and does not understand.

I don’t really remember other reactions.

O my x boyfriend was cool about it when I met him on a dating site and told him before we met.
He was very supportive.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 95 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.