Radical Acceptance

I broke out my DBT workbook this morning.

Today I’m working on practicing radical acceptance.

Radical means all the way, complete, and total.

It is accepting in your mind, your heart, and your body.

It’s when you stop fighting reality, stop protesting because reality is not the way you want it, and let go of bitterness.

:+1:

16 Likes

What is the difference between accepting in your mind and your heart?

1 Like

I’d have nothing left to do because that’s all I do :joy:

4 Likes

Sounds like a healthy thing to be doing. I might have to think about this too. :thinking:

4 Likes

Maybe cognitively and emotionally?

2 Likes

I’m practicing some DBT skills now with my new therapist.
I think she will implement a mixture of CBT and DBT techniques with me.

Do you find that DBT helps with your symptoms @anon1517417?

If you don’t mind me asking but what is your diagnosis?

I heard that DBT can be useful for psychotic disorders as well.

Although it was initially designed for borderline patients.

2 Likes

I like the term radical acceptance. It is like liking oneself with a fresh pair of eyes. That have not been conditioned by outside things.

3 Likes

Love it. I know things always go better when I just accept them the way they are for sure

2 Likes

I’m really just beginning to get into DBT. I purchased a workbook years ago but did not do any work with it.

I got it out recently because it seems to correlate to a lot of things I’m working on in therapy now. What I’ve looked at so far has really resonated with me and I think it can help me.

I have Asperger’s syndrome, which seems to share a lot in common with Borderline Personality Disorder, like a tendency toward all or nothing, black or white thinking. Also, a lot of social skills do not come as naturally to me as someone who is not on the spectrum. I have PTSD and high anxiety as well. I have not been diagnosed with schizophrenia, but my biology makes me vulnerable to psychosis, which I have experienced a few times. I had a serious psychotic break in 2014, which is what brought me to this website.

I hope you find some success with DBT with your new therapist. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Thanks @anon1517417 :slightly_smiling_face:
Good luck with DBT

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.