R.E.M. These guys are awesome

Hey, I was young in the eighties and I’m allowed to say “awesome” and “killer”.

10 Likes

You have excellent taste @77nick77.

Killer and awesome are happy words. I never fully understood rad though. :slight_smile:
I’m just weird I guess.

3 Likes
4 Likes

Yeah, when they first started making a name for themselves it was hard to understand Michael Stipe as he sung, it was just often a blur of words blending into each other.

3 Likes

Love REM, thanks for the posts @77nick77 and @Moonbeam! Peter Buck is a great guitarist and had cool taste in equipment.
The eighties were a wonderful time to grow up in. Many fond memories!

Peter Buck plays guitar on this.

5 Likes

Saw them on the Green tour out here. Amazing show. We had the worst seats in the house but it was a small venue. Didn’t know much of their stuff but the staples but it was a great show. Top shelf.

At the end Stipe and the band did a version of the Velvet Underground…that song…"If you close that door…I’m never going to see you again…( forget the title!) AS they went on the band started leaving one by one till it was only Stipe left talking…funny as and amazing concert!..Saw them years later in a stadium and they were apologizing for playing Finest Worksong to people who turned up to hear Shiny, Happy People which they never did live anyways.

Yes. Amazing band. Fond memories!

4 Likes
4 Likes

Pretty cool. I saw them once in the nineties, great show. Stipe had to have a music stand in front of him with the lyrics to most of the songs. Their songs are pretty “wordy” and he had to read them to remember them.

2 Likes

The Underground song was a version of " After Hours ". Crowd wouldn’t leave it was amazing!

2 Likes

I unfortunately never got to see REM live, but once when I saw Robyn Hitchcock, Peter Buck came on stage and played with him and his band. The memory is pretty foggy now, but it was pretty exciting.

3 Likes

I had to double check to be sure, but when Nirvana was inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, Michael Stipe did the induction speech…

3 Likes

I used to like REM. I had some of their cassettes. That’s how old I am, I owned cassettes lol I had I think, Automatic For the People and some lesser known one, it had some song called “Harborcoat.” it was so long ago I can’t remember much else about that album.

I liked a lot of their songs. Like “Everybody Hurts” and “Losing My Relgion” was good. At the time I didn’t really “get” it. Now I sort of do, except I wasn’t sad or guilty or apprehensive to leave religion, but i did miss the support system and it may have contributed to me losing a friend.

1 Like

Always my favorite REM song. One of the most subtle, beautiful protest songs I’ve ever heard.

4 Likes

Actually, many people wonder what, “Losing my Religion”
means. In a book I had that explained all of all their lyrics “losing my Religion” is actually a saying from the Southern part of the United States.

It means if you are in a heated discussion with someone and it escalates, “losing my religion” means that one person is going to forget about being nice and polite and they are going to forget all about the niceties about being a devout, god fearing person who lives by church morals and they are going to lay into the other person. I’m making it complicated but it is actually quite simple. It kind of means, “The gloves come off”. And R.E.M. are from Atlanta so it makes sense that they would have heard this old saying.

4 Likes

I like their songs about Andy Kaufman. I heard them in the movie called Man on the Moon.

3 Likes

hands down I love “murmur” the most by R.E.M. the whole album is gold…so is monster…oh well…I’m an old man.

2 Likes

I had no idea! That’s cool!

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.