Quiet quitting: The workplace trend taking over TikTok

Quiet Quitting - apparently that’s a thing now

When I start my new job, I will work my hours, but I will work passionately and with deep special interest in the work - providing it’s stimulating. And I will put in a good shift.

Honestly, I don’t understand this fad. Why do people suddenly think this is a thing and give credit to some Tik Tok star?

I have worked in many jobs, and people have been doing this for years - nothing new

Start a craze of people doing things like this, and it only harms prospects for those that take part

All these ungrateful asshats will just piss off their employers

AND during a ‘cost of living crisis’, they put their income at risk. Just bizarre and shows a lack of awareness of life

3 Likes

I think it is a shame that doing your job is considered less now. Employers expect people to go above and beyond for minimim wage.

2 Likes

With Covid, people got used to working from home…and many now will only seek employers who are willing to let them do just that.

1 Like

I just quickly scanned your article. But based on what I saw, all the people that “quiet quit” that they listed, also ended up quitting their job at some point down the line. It seems like maybe this is something that appeals to those who are not really satisfied with their job in the first place. It seems like it might be a gradual stepping stone to many who are on their way out the door anyway, just doing it slowly instead of quitting right away.

I don’t think it’s good if employers dont reward you for putting in the extra time and effort but, like I said, it seems that most of the people listed were not satisfied with their job for the long term even in a “quiet quitting” status.

2 Likes

Within some areas I think it can be sensible to be quiet, especially in big companies.

I used to work for a big telecompany. They established a online forum where people could post ideas about improvements to rationalise workload. I posted some ideas there and was awarded idea of the month at one occasion. The thanks was I was supposed to get a lottery ticket in compensation that I never got. Eventually management used those ideas to rationalise and suddenly they started letting people go including me. They did give 8 months wages as a parting deal when I got let go, so it wasn’t all bad, but still it goes to show what happens. Those ideas they got were probably worth a boatload of money and all they were willing to give you was a lottery ticket(which I never got) and some silent recognition. You could say I contributed to getting people let go.

The only way I got to the level I did going from poor to half decent pay was by kicking ass.

Not going into specifics of money, but I was on just a bit over min wage, and I learned a lot going above my station doing things outside my job spec.

There is a difference between being invaluable and taken for granted.

I have been both at various different times - and it generally depends on quality of management

My suspicion is these people doing this ‘trend’ don’t understand the difference

One thing I give to young people is that this model is exploitative, but they have no experience

This topic was automatically closed 95 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.