Quiet about your diagnosis or open about it?

I tell anyone that asks me.Usually crops up often asking why i dont work. I couldnt give a monkeys what they think about me to be honest. Some of the looks on their faces can be quite comical. Why the bloody hell should i be ashamed about my diagnosis? Its not my bloody fault!

8 Likes

I like your attitude @Naarai

2 Likes

Iā€™m kind of quite about it. I normally just tell people Iā€™m bi polar with paranoia.

If I tell someone Iā€™m schizophrenic , they think Iā€™m dangerous which always makes th3 situation tense and me being so paranoid doesnā€™t help

1 Like

I am very open about my diagnosisā€¦I donā€™t mind telling people that I am so, cuz really it helps them see that even tho I might actually and dress a little weird, they know Iā€™m always (well, usually!) nice, calm, and polite. I truly feel that if a person cannot accept me AS I AM, fruity as a fruitcake, then I donā€™t really need them in my life anyway. Yes, Iā€™ve had people shy away after they learned my diagnosis, and I know Iā€™ve missed out on job opportunities cuz of it, but I really think that I have an opportunity to educate people about sz when Iā€™m open about it. So many ignorant people think mental illness equals dangerousness and I like to let them know that weā€™re mostly benign (except, perhaps, when off my meds!).

1 Like

I donā€™t really have the opportunity to tell anyone. Who am I going to tell? Taxi drivers ?

2 Likes

Itā€™s not really anyone elseā€™s business. Anymore than if I had cancer or aids. They can take me or leave me as they find me, I donā€™t wonder if they have an illness or not. Itā€™s not really anyone elseā€™s business in my opinion.

Yeah i tend to have a kind of F**ck You Mentality when it comes to my mental health. Its a bloody disease like any other problem. x

2 Likes

You were right about telling people on facebook about your diagnose .Itā€™s a brave move,and now you know the friends.Thinking about doing it myself but I think that everyone already knows :slight_smile:

1 Like

ive Found the more open I am, the more people distance from me. Iā€™m happy for those of you when honesty works. Iā€™m just sick of being hurt. I kinda have separation anxiety now

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.