Questions I found on here

Just saw someone post this and thought I would like to know the answers too. I know my reasons of being schizophrenic why this happens to me but want to see if anyone else experiences anything different.

1. What’s going through a schizophrenics mind while they’re zoning out? (excluding hallucinations)
  2. Why do schizophrenics chain smoke cigarettes all the time?
  3. The voices either narrate what hes doing or thinking, or just saying nice and/or funny things to him. Is it normal for the voices to be narrating and saying calming things most of the day?
  4. Some days he is very “normal” and talkative and outgoing, but other times he shows no emotion and barely says anything. Why is that?
1 Like

I don’t smoke. thanks for the heads-up.

time to start

1 Like

I quit smoking 25 years ago but I have read that SZ people smoke a lot compared to the general public

I don’t think anything when I’m zoning out. I’m not sure I ever did, even before the crazy. I just go off into a warm haze. I used to get bumped out of it immediately by hallucinations. Not so much anymore.

Nicotine triggers the release of dopamine, offsetting the antipsychotic.

I talked to my hallucinations when I was unmedicated. Now, they’re just random garbage, the ones I do have. “He sight/site/cite.” They’re fond of that crap. I can usually figure it out if I try, but it’s never worth it.

I wasn’t aware any of us fluctuated that way, I certainly don’t.

1. Trying to discover the mysteries of the universe.

2. I’ve completely given up.

3. I don’t know.

4. When in agony you fight and sometimes you win and act normal, but then you may crash back down when it becomes to much.

yes i know i have given up …!!!

Umm when I’m zoning out I’m generally thinking about the nonphysical plane and dreams and wishing I was there.

I don’t smoke.

I’ve only had my actions narrated once or twice but supposedly it’s a common thing to experience for those w psychosis. I do however often receive comfort and encouragement from my voices, and tend to chat with them throughout the day.

The last one I feel is true for everyone not just people with mental illness. Everyone has days where they feel really sociable and then also days where they want to be a hermit.

What’s going through a schizophrenics mind while they’re zoning out? (excluding hallucinations)
I would imagine that’s different for everyone. I zone out often, and my thoughts will vary, but a lot of the time it’s a looping of what someone has said or just something mundane, but it’s usually a looping repeating thought.
Why do schizophrenics chain smoke cigarettes all the time?
There’s something in nicotine that gives some relief to sz symptoms, so I’ve read. I don’t smoke.
The voices either narrate what hes doing or thinking, or just saying nice and/or funny things to him. Is it normal for the voices to be narrating and saying calming things most of the day?
I’ve heard of that. I don’t have positive voices. I can’t imagine. Mine have ranged from annoying to tormenting.
Some days he is very “normal” and talkative and outgoing, but other times he shows no emotion and barely says anything. Why is that?
I don’t know for anyone else. For me, some days are better than others. If I have a lot of noise and agitation, I’m going to be quiet externally. After that, I’m going to be tired. But I have more quiet days and I’m more social and cheerful those days.

I usually go over past conversations when i’m zoning out. My voices chime in and narrate it too.

I smoke but I don’t want to smoke. I need to quit

My voices don’t really say positive things to me. Mostly it’s negative things or random nonsense or threatening things.

My emotions are very volatile. One minute I could be happy and the next I could be tearing up because I’m distressed. It seems like I only have two emotions. Either really happy and outgoing or really sad and depressed. There’s no in between.

When I am zoning out. hmm? I, unfortunately, spend a lot of time reliving my abusive past. I have PTSD. Lot’s of terrible shyt happened. I talk to my audience about it. Sometimes I am able to get into a movie and zone out

I never want to go back and even try to remember my last psychotic episode. They are too horrible to remember. People with this illness are quiet in a group setting and often show no emotion. It seems like emotions just go flat with this illness. People often comment that nothing phases me, but it does, I just do not show it.

A person changes after a psychotic episode, and you are just wishing you could be normal.

I am a totally different person than before I was sick. I am a delusional train wreck who manages to come off as completely normal when she needs to. I snapped and haven’t quite come back yet.

When i’m zoning out? Hmmm, I usually hear yelling or screaming insults calling me an “■■■■■■■”. Typically of people I don’t talk to anymore.

I’ve been smoking ever since before I was diagnosed…trying to quit…down to 1 cig a day.

My voices are rude and violent. Causing me to be that way. I try controlling it but to no avail…only thing I can do is ignore it.

Majority of the time I’m alone and I’m quiet. When I do start talking my voices go away. If i’m alone i’m screaming at my voices to go away.