Questions about psych wards

Do they change your meds from the ones you were taking before you got admitted?
Do they sedate you if you’re heart rate is high and you’re freaking out?

Generally they up your meds or try new ones. I am maxed out now so no room to adjust.

I don’t know about your heart rate. For me it was pretty standard to get a shot of Haldol and a shot of Antivan when admitted. I was always pretty out of it and psychotic as hell when I went in

3 Likes

Interesting Tom. A shot of Ativan? I take them by tablets.

Maybe ask for propanalol that would help racing heart it’s a beta blocker. Helped me

1 Like

@TheCanuk
Sometimes they changed my meds. Sometimes they added to them.

2 Likes

If you get checked in an are not doing good sometimes they iv Ativan so it works faster

1 Like

I took Ativan once in the emergency room, the next few days my memory was so bad. It was either the psychotic break or Ativan

2 Likes

Maybe both winter blues

You lose your memory with psychosis. I do. The last time I went to the ER I thought we were there about 15 minutes. My wife says it was 12 hours. I don’t remember most of it or any of the next several days even after a shot of Haldol. I was only off of meds for 4 days.

3 Likes

@TomCat Oh I just posted that I want off the meds… I don’t understand psychosis :frowning:

Best to stay on them.

2 Likes

@Winterblues Stick with them don’t be treatment resistant. It will help in the long run to get healthy.

2 Likes

I hope so 15151

1 Like

I’ve been on the psych wards a bunch of times, and each time it was different. It depends on the pdoc. Some like to change meds, some increase what you already take. I was even re-dxed a couple times(when that happened my real world pdoc would put me back on the right meds, since a new dx usually means different meds).

A couple times when I got a bit out of control they gave me an extra dose of liquid Haldol and a 30 minute time out in the seclusion room. Always best to “go along to get along” in a situation like that. I’ve seen fellow patients get waaay out of control and even fight the attendants and they ended up getting four-pointed to a bed, a shot in the butt and several hours/overnight in the seclusion room. That didn’t look fun to me so I was cooperative even when I was worked up.

All this stuff depends on the pdoc, the facility, and the country you are in(I’m in the USA).

Nutcase

1 Like

I usually came in medfree and totally psychotic and came out as an oversedated zombie. They would start me on high doses of medication and i would get off the medication the first day when i got out. Neither of them was a good idea.

If you come in a bit more “controlled” and voluntarily and before things go completely wrong, you have more of a say in medication decisions. Which is a better idea.

1 Like

They rarely ever change my regular meds. They do sometimes temporarily up my seroquel

2 Likes

They may change your meds if ones in the past were not working properly.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.