Questions about meds

My little brother has been in a hospital for about 3 1/2 weeks now. He finally signed a release medical form today… so his case worker finally told me what he was taking. He is on 400 mg Seriquel and 1 mg Cogentin. Do any of you have info about these? He doesnt seem many better. He is still having delusions. We got into tonight bc he is in denial. He doesnt think he has schizophrenia. He admits to some of the crazy things he has done but says he acted that way bc of the other ppl involved. Today was hard. It breaks my heart! I just had to end our conversation. Last thing I heard him say was he is 21 and wanted his stuff packed up bc he is discharging. My heart hurts.

It can take 4-6 weeks to see a differance. I was psychotic, ON meds, for almost half a year. I’m on Seroquel and Abilify.

1 Like

Sorry about you brother!
I know the Cogentin is to counteract side effects he may have from Seroquel. As Comatose said, it may take a little longer to see a better difference-he may also choose to try different meds if this doesn`t work for him.
Denial-or lack of insight-is very common with this illness.
Good luck to you and your brother!

1 Like

My son has taken Cogentin, it’s to counteract any side effects with his other meds. In my son’s case it was haldol. He’s been taking Zyprexa, (Olanzapine), since April last year. It seems it took awhile before we saw any difference for him. The last few months he seems to be changing before my eyes, in a good way. So give the meds some time, it may help with his lack of insight later.
Best of luck to both of you.

2 Likes